I need all the lights off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Hili

Reaction score
Just like what it says.

I'm a pilot on reserve, so sometimes I get stuck without proper living accommodations for a day or two. I tricked out the back of the 2017 Expedition I own to accommodate me and a mattress, mini fridge, TV, Playstation, etc...I'm super comfy in it. That said, it's much easier to not have to explain to anyone why I'm sleeping in my car, lol. Problem is, when it's running (which is all the time when I'm in it, the alternator handles the inverter and the environmental control is great) there are outside lights on that I don't know how to extinguish.
Anybody know how to make the vehicle completely dark?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just like what it says.

I'm a pilot on reserve, so sometimes I get stuck without proper living accommodations for a day or two. I tricked out the back of the 2017 Expedition I own to accommodate me and a mattress, mini fridge, TV, Playstation, etc...I'm super comfy in it. That said, it's much easier to not have to explain to anyone why I'm sleeping in my car, lol. Problem is, when it's running (which is all the time when I'm in it, the alternator handles the inverter and the environmental control is great) there are outside lights on that I don't know how to extinguish.
Anybody know how to make the vehicle completely dark?

On my 2015 Expedition, if the automatic headlamp control switch is turn fully counter-clockwise, it shuts off the exterior lighting.

Perhaps read your owner’s manual to see what light functions are shut-off by the switch in your 2017?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be in your instrument cluster "menu" under "vehicle" and "advanced features". Uncheck the daytime running lights to turn them off.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be in your instrument cluster "menu" under "vehicle" and "advanced features". Uncheck the daytime running lights to turn them off.

The daytime running light feature for the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models (USA) was only available with a fleet purchase - not for retail sale models.

If the OP has a Canadian build model - he would have the feature.

OP
OP
C

Craig Hili

Reaction score
I looked through all the menus, no joy. Mine was purchased new in NC, so I assume it was made in the US, but I don't know for sure.

Eventually, I'll just remove the bulbs, but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution. What a pain in the ass, lol. Stupid lights.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had another vehicle that had DRL and if you pressed the emergency brake, they went out. Worth a shot...

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked through all the menus, no joy. Mine was purchased new in NC, so I assume it was made in the US, but I don't know for sure.

Eventually, I'll just remove the bulbs, but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution. What a pain in the ass, lol. Stupid lights.

You should be able to disable in forscan. I think there’s something called “dark mode” or “stealth mode” or something like that.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I enabled "Police Mode" on my 2015 and it was too dark. I would unlock the car with the remote and nothing, no lights. Opened the door, nothing. I thought I would like it, but no, The lights make sense.