Intake Manifold Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fe731as

Reaction score
New to the forums, so asking for patience if this has already been answered...(an appropriate link would be appreciated).
I have a 2003 Expy E.B. (5.4L, 4x4) w/ 190k miles. I've had it since late 2004, with all scheduled (and some unscheduled) maintenance. Took it in today for an oil change and was informed that the intake manifold is leaking - oil/coolant mix under/behind the alternatorand below the intake. I was told "this is pretty common", as the independent auto shop had someone else's '04 expy in for that and other work.
I don't want to get rid of it (yet), and am hoping for at least another 30k - 40k miles out of it.
Questions:

1.) is this a common problem? and if so, how serious? (i.e. can it wait a week or two?)
2.) If I have the work done, What other work should be completed while the intake is apart?
(new plugs?, injectors?, etc). (I could do it myself, but I honestly don't have the time anymore,
with 4 kids at home)
3.) are there any good aftermarket upgrades available? * I read a thread on the Dorman intake - going
to avoid that one!)

*Vehicle is currently all stock*

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's common. Wash it out with some degreaser and a garden hose and just keep an eye on it that it's not the small pass thru coolant hose leaking coolant. As long as you don't see oil in your radiator reservoir, or coolant on your dipstick I wouldn't be too concerned. The fix is usually replacing the head gaskets.

-Mike

OP
OP
F

fe731as

Reaction score
Actually, head gasket swap/replacement sounds more expensive. If I'm doing that, I might as well do a complete overhaul...?
pass-through coolant hose shouldn't result in oil under the manifold (or am I missing something on these newer engines?).

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil leaks from the inboard corners of the head to block mating surface when the head gasket loses it's seal in that area. Coolant can leak from a cracked intake manifold where the aluminum crossover mates to the intake maniflold or when the small pass thru coolant hose running under the intake manifold deteriorates to the point of leaking. Clean the valley out with some degreaser and shine a flashlight in there and look around. If you have a coolant leak, fix it. If it's just a nuisance drop of oil per week just keep an eye on your oil level as you normally should.

-Mike

Msport

Reaction score
I replaced my intake manifold gasket about a year ago and used felpro from autozone, no leaks so far... It took me about 10 hours because it was my first time and I did not want to break anything. My leak was coming from the passenger side intake manifold gasket and the gasket from the coolant crossover pipe, it has 2 gaskets. I did not remove the intake manifold completely from the engine, I removed the bolts and raised the manifold just enough to remove/replace the gaskets. Also, besides draining the coolant and removing the air intake, I removed the serpentine belt and alternator out of the way... The only others items I replaced was the coolant, thermostat and thermostat gasket.

2003 Expy 5.4L 172k

jdecker

Reaction score
Like Msport said above you can replace the gaskets on the crossover pipe, when you do carefully check the intake for cracks (it's plastic) around the mounting points. If you do need to replace the intake spend the extra money for oem part definitely worth it.