Interior Lights Won't Go Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the title says the interior lights won't go out. They stay on while driving which is super annoying at night. No lights on the dash indicating a door or the hatch is open. Running boards respond normally. Dash lights and the tail lights respond normally when opening and closing the door. It's just that all the dome lights do not want to shut off until the battery saver kicks in about 5 minutes after turning off the vehicle.

This problem has happened a couple of times but is not consistent.

And yes, I double checked to make sure they are in lights/buttons are in the off position.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
Check to make sure that the instrument cluster dimmer isn't set in the indented position. I'm not sure if the 15-17 Expy's have it, but the 07-14 Expeditions have a scroll-wheel for the dimmer, and if it is set all the way in the up-position, the interior lights will stay on all the time.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check to make sure that the instrument cluster dimmer isn't set in the indented position. I'm not sure if the 15-17 Expy's have it, but the 07-14 Expeditions have a scroll-wheel for the dimmer, and if it is set all the way in the up-position, the interior lights will stay on all the time.

The thumb-wheel interior light dimmer was changed for the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models.

A (stupid design) rocker switch was used. The switch must be pushed and held to turn on the interior lights. Then, to turn them off, you must push the rocker switch in the opposite direction, which also dims the dash lights one or two notches - then you must push the switch to the opposite direction to increase the dash lighting to its original setting.

It is a terrible, poorly designed switch.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Glad to find out I'm not the only guy this happened to! Left the eye doctor with dilated eyes and very dark sun glasses. Couldn't read the instruments in daylight. No problem just feel around for the switch and crank up the illumination. Puzzled the next day...

-- Chuck