Rear axle spindle nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ernestcg

Reaction score
So I have been replacing all 4 wheel hubs on my 2004 4wd. 3 of them went relatively easy with the 4th being a complete pain in the ass. I had to purchase a 3 jaw puller for the one hub the others it was not needed. However my rear spindle nut is damaged and can not get it to rethread. I’m gonna cut the spindle down a 1/2 in with grinder, and put new nut on it. My problem is finding the right thread pitch for this 36mm nut, I’ve called all the local auto parts stores and they just sell the socket. However I can order one of them through fastenal. If someone knows the correct thread pitch for my spindle nut it’d be greatly appreciated.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you chop off the threads, why not use the other side good one, and buy a thread chaser. Cutting the spindle without a nut already on there may prove difficult to start new nut.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m definitely going to try and rethread first. Before I do any cutting.

You can get a whole new half shaft for under $100 . If you go that route make sure to order the correct side, there's a difference between the left and right side lengths.