Recent Towing Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's up everyone? I recently got back from a vacation to South Carolina, and on the way back I towed my father's boat back to Wisconsin.

DSCN2118.jpg
DSCN2117.jpg

I just want to share my experience towing it home.

A bit of background is it is a 26 ft. boat weighing in around 4500-5000 lbs depending on how much water and fuel are in it. The trailer comes in just under 1000 lbs, so in total I was pulling about 5500 to 6000 lbs. plus luggage and my father and me.

When we were at the trailer dealer, I inquired about a weight distribution hitch stating I was thinking about purchasing one (from him) if he thought it would be necessary. Told him the specs of the Expy and he said it would just be a waste of money. I was a little taken back as I thought they made the towing much more stable and safer. He said that they really are hyped more than necessary. OooooooK......... I also asked about a higher rating ball receiver and he said that they are all severely underated and that mine rated at 5000 lbs is more than adequate. OooooooK again.....
So I made a decision to trust his judgement as I was contemplating on going without the WDH anyway.
So my dad and I head out the next day to trailer the boat to Wisconsin and we are taking it fairly easy (no more than 65 mph). We decided to not go the mountainous route through Asheville, NC, so we ended up going a bit out of way through Atlanta. We encountered a concrete highway along the way that had the seams spaced perfectly to bounce our heads up and back simultaneously when the truck's wheels and trailer wheels hit the seams. Needless to say, my neck was a bit sore over those 75 miles or so.
Unfortunately we hit Atlanta at the start of rush hour and lost a bit of time sitting in traffic. When we got out of there, I decided to step up the speed to 70-72 mph. Not a hitch in the performance of the Expy, and the trailer rode perfectly. Water temp never got above half gauge.
As we got into Tennessee, we hit some hills, and still not a hitch. Then we came to a 5 mile long 5% inline just north of Chatanooga that I was sure we were going to have some problems. NOT. I had to keep the OD off obviously, but about halfway up, I had to kick it down to 2 for a stretch and then back to 3, then back to 2 Etc. Finally I just kept it floored and the Expy just pulled like a race horse the rest of the way. Water temp never budged.
As we were getting late into the night and we were pushing to go as far as we could on day 1, I found myself going a bit faster (about 75) and I couldn't believe how well the trailer and Expy were handling it. It felt like I could have gone even faster but I knew better.
As seen in the pic above, the Expy sat about 3 inches, but rode pretty well. The trailer dealer said it would be wise to invest in some air shocks if I was going to be pulling the boat frequently.
Overall I was impressed with the Expy in pulling this load. As it turned out, the WDH was not necessary, and the ball mount was no worse for the wear. I do have to say that the Expy's mirrors are incredible as I thought for sure I would need extensions....wrong. The stock mirrors were plenty for an 8.5 ft. beam boat. As it turns out, I couldn't be happier as to a completely uneventful 1,220 mile journey pulling at least 5,500 lbs plus truck load. Damn glad I bought this truck.

Oh, and the gas mileage ended up right at 11 mpg. About what I had expected.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Your trailer dealer doesn't appear to know much about towing. :(

You have some serious squat from the photos and are consequently unloading the front axle. You need a WDH. Adding air shocks or rubber thingies will make the truck tow level but the weight is still being put on the rear axle and taken off the front.

Here's what 5000 pounds of trailer should look like. Equal suspension compression fore and aft:

QTUCR-79779959-IMG_0708.JPG

WZMXO-55056729-IMG_0709.JPG

What's your tongue weight? Ours is pushing 700 pounds.

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. Yeah, that does look better. The dealer's main business is trailer repair, and he sells new trailers on the side. It was the cheapest place we could find the trailer we got by a pretty good margin. Exact same trailer somewhere else was at least $1500 more. So it doesn't surprise me he may not know what he is talking about. I would think he would want to sell me a WDH by any means, even if I did not need it, but he said it wasn't necessary. I will be pulling the boat every other weekend in the summer months so I will probably invest in one.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
We're using an Equal-i-zer WDH. $399 delivered (less ball) from RVWholesalers in Ohio (no sales tax for you!).

Installation, other than the ball which takes a very big, thin wall socket, is pure hand tools and a good way to measure the suspension compression.

Basically ya measure the height at the lip of the wheel wells fore and aft without the trailer, hook up, and measure again. Adjust the hitch until you get as near equal suspension compression on both axles as you can. It's vital the front axle compress.

I ordered my Expedition specifically withOUT the air suspension as it disguises bad loading.

-- Chuck

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
From the pix it looks like a single beam toung back to the spare tire. would the WDH not work here?

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by JUST4FUN
From the pix it looks like a single beam toung back to the spare tire. would the WDH not work here?

Yes that is correct, and I thought that it could be an issue. But since I have never seen a WDH up close, I am not sure.

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
Good to hear you had a safe trip.
Reese makes a WD hitch set-up for marine trailers but it's only rated for 400# tongue weight. They make adapters for their larger units to fit single beam trailers.
There does appear to be a fair amount of sag on the rear of the Expy. If you're comfortable with the way it rides OK. I'd install a WD hitch, but that's just me.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5.4.... I read your other thread and I would go by what the manual says. As you can tell from my pic, the rear sags a bit. I have the HD Tow pkg and the trans was a champ the whole trip. With the 5.4, tongue weight for Weight Carrying Hitch is 600 lbs and I was right there. The susp should handle it as it is the same between the 4.6 and 5.4, but I am unsure about the power, but would guess it would be OK. Just look at your manual and go by that.