Shifter dial mixup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Defiant

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have only had my 2022 Ford Expedition for a couple of months and it's my first vehicle with a dial shifter. A few days ago I was backing out of the garage and I accidentally turned the dial into park while pulling out of the garage backwards. The dial flashed red and I brought the vehicle to a stop (which was easy as my foot was on the break). Does not seem to have caused any issues after driving it around town. Just curious if anyone has any information on safety measures the transmission has to avoid damage in this situation? Definitely have no desire to do it again that is for sure!

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are zero safety measures. In our company's Explorer, I accidentally put it in park and that thing grinded the heck out of the parking gear. It would've grinded harder had I not slammed on the brakes.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
Thankfully it was at low speed backing up and there doesn't seem to be any harm that I can notice.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have only had my 2022 Ford Expedition for a couple of months and it's my first vehicle with a dial shifter. A few days ago I was backing out of the garage and I accidentally turned the dial into park while pulling out of the garage backwards. The dial flashed red and I brought the vehicle to a stop (which was easy as my foot was on the break). Does not seem to have caused any issues after driving it around town. Just curious if anyone has any information on safety measures the transmission has to avoid damage in this situation? Definitely have no desire to do it again that is for sure!
I cant imagine any damage was done.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

at slow speeds, no safety features, as it thinks you're trying to put it in park. There is a potential for damage, but sounds like you're okay. You'd notice if the parking prawl was not working or broke.

at high speeds the system won't allow you to put it in park, for obvious reasons. but it will require to you come to a complete stop before changing back to drive. Don't try it.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
at slow speeds, no safety features, as it thinks you're trying to put it in park. There is a potential for damage, but sounds like you're okay. You'd notice if the parking prawl was not working or broke.

at high speeds the system won't allow you to put it in park, for obvious reasons. but it will require to you come to a complete stop before changing back to drive. Don't try it.
I appreciate the information and feedback! I pulled it out of the garage the other day and moved around my driveway and put it into park, drive, and reverse to see if there were any issues but nothing I could notice that stood out. Going to take this as a free lesson learned and definitely going to be more mindful of this as I continue to adjust to the dial shifter. I miss my Town Car and old expedition with the shifter on the column.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try opening your door while you are driving, it'll slam that B right into park and grind to a halt. so stupid.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 21 if I accidentally put the gear selector in Park before I am at a complete stop the parking brake is applied automatically.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Parking brake automatically applied -- are these electronic in the late Expeditions? I have to step on mine although I'm familiar with the concept as my wife's Subaru has this type of electro-mechanical parking brake.

Slight thread drift: Watching old movies 1930s thru 1950s I've noticed in many scenes of cars parking that the driver is obviously leaning forward to set or release the hand brake. I admit to rarely using it on my automatic transmission cars unless parked on a slope as Park seems robust enough.

-- Chuck