Short Circuit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotaneye4it

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition 5.4 liter engine. My battery failed so I bought another one. I put it in, cranked it, and it ran smooth.

The next day I awoke and got ready for work, went outside to crank it, and no start. I was told it’s possibly a faulty alternator, so I replaced it. I cranked it up no problem as I let it run for awhile.

I took it on the road brought it home no problem. A couple of hours later I took it to get something to eat and instantly I start to smell smoke like something was burning. I didn’t see any smoke to know where it was coming from, so I got it home, looked under the hood and no damage.

I then looked in the back where my after market equipment is and no damage. I start sniffing where my speakers are in the car and no damage.

I then open the glove and bingo the smell is coming from behind my glove compartment. Can anybody tell me what it might be before I take it into a shop to be possibly taken advantage of?

( no engine lights or charging system failure warning )

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would scan it first, always a good place to start. That said it's common for 2003 and 2004 models to have the fuel pump relay burn/melt. It's behind the passenger front kick panel and could easily seem to be coming from the glove box.

Pull the kick plate trim and then the kick panel, pull the cover off the fuse box and if you'll smell it really strong if that's the case. It can be replaced fairly cheap and easy or you can buy a replacement fuse box, aka Central Junction Box.

This sticky thread has lots of info on this issue:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing directly behind the glovebox that might smoke is the AC blower and it's speed resistor or that harness plug to the resistor. But I don't know how your "aftermarket equipment" is wired in.
Does your AC blower still function normally ? All speeds available ?