Should I Buy a 2024 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got back from a quickie trip to California. 1200+ miles on my going on 6 YO with almost 59K miles. Absolutely flawless and averaged over 19 mpg. She's a good girl! Almost the best vehicle ever.

Nitrodoc

Reaction score
My wife got a 24 Limited with the Stealth package two months ago and we love it. We got it because we are going on a long road trip this week and wanted it for comfort for me with her 18 Explorer causing me pain in my hip on long drives with the way that the front fender came into the driver's side foot well. Having said that I would have waited for a '25 with the new ones having some improvements. Either way, I think that you won't be disappointed.

Danm355

Reaction score
I need to replace my 2003 Expedition with a new one. I've been looking around town at the 2024's on different Ford Dealer lots and I like what I see. But when I check here on the Forum. still read about all the 10-speed Transmission issues these have. Has this issue been resolved? Or, does this issue only affect certain optioned models? Is there a way to know (by test driving) if your car has issues?

I'm stuck and can't move forward. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
I've had several Expeditions with the 10 speed transmission and I have never had a problem including with my 2023 Expedition.

Roland A

Reaction score
I have a 2020 XLT that I absolutely love. I have had no trouble with the engine or the tranny.
Four tips for new Expedition owners (I have had 3):
1. 5k synthetic oil changes
2. Highest octane gas available
3. Drive it like you stole it! I drive mine in Sport mode most of the time.
4. Do not follow Ford's recommended service intervals for the fluids. They are designed to get you past the warranty period not for the long life of your vehicle.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2020 XLT that I absolutely love. I have had no trouble with the engine or the tranny.
Four tips for new Expedition owners (I have had 3):
1. 5k synthetic oil changes
2. Highest octane gas available
3. Drive it like you stole it! I drive mine in Sport mode most of the time.
4. Do not follow Ford's recommended service intervals for the fluids. They are designed to get you past the warranty period not for the long life of your vehicle.

I assume 2 and 3 are essential for transmission smoothness. I will take your advice.

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
My 2022 is shifting funny, started getting more noticeable at around 10k miles. The downshift are pretty rough. Happens especially driving at around 10-15 mph in residential with barely any throttle.

Going to drop it off when I get the time.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2022 is shifting funny, started getting more noticeable at around 10k miles. The downshift are pretty rough. Happens especially driving at around 10-15 mph in residential with barely any throttle.

Going to drop it off when I get the time.

Like mine

roybus14

Reaction score
I need to replace my 2003 Expedition with a new one. I've been looking around town at the 2024's on different Ford Dealer lots and I like what I see. But when I check here on the Forum. still read about all the 10-speed Transmission issues these have. Has this issue been resolved? Or, does this issue only affect certain optioned models? Is there a way to know (by test driving) if your car has issues?

I'm stuck and can't move forward. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
Have 2023 Limited Stealth. Still have my 04 XLT with over 220K miles on it. Only thing I would say is to pay attention to stuff like what your running board settings actually do and don't and aesthetics (quality) in the interior cabin. My 2023 runs fine and I've had no issues mechanically since getting it and I'm at 7k miles so far..

Running Boards: My 2023 has 12-inch monitor and has the extended running board timers for Standard 25 seconds and Extended 5 minutes. Neither have worked since I drove it brand new with 11 miles on it off the lot. Took it to two Ford dealerships here in Maryland and no one has answer other than the they know its an issue. People on this forum know better than they do.

One svc mgr told me that my 12-inch monitor was not equipped for those settings but its in my settings and it should not make any difference whether I have the 12-inch or 15-inch monitor.

The Aesthetics: Make sure you test drive the vehicle you are listening for squeaks and rattles. Mine had a nagging rattle in the rear lift gate. I think it came from the factory like that. Didn't notice until a few days later when it really stared getting louder. The 2nd dealership I took it to said the the plastic panel (with the handle on it) inside the lift gate was not snapped in correctly to the lift gate itself. It also required the tech to put in spacers to truly secure the panel to the lift gate. Rattle gone.

There is also an annoying squeaking in the front passenger side door that they don't seem to know what it is. Add to that, the interior design of the seat belts may cause noise too with the plastic on the clips rattling against the interior plastic if they are not clipped in.

And another annoying rattle that I found was the from passenger side seat belt hold that you clip into. It will bang up against your center console when you ride on bumpy road surfaces. If I drive by myself, I tuck it in tight between the seat and the center console so that it is not loose to bang the center consule.