Shudders...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

OK the dealer has it back for the 6th time now.

01 5.4 4R100 4x4, 45K. Bought it used in Feb.

On a WOT 1-2 shift it "shudders." Almost like a rumble strip. Frequently on hilly high-speed roads it will do the rumble strip thing 3-4.

Dealer sent it out to a tranny shop... There 2 days now. Possibly a bad TC lockup solenoid.

I found the exhaust hanging a bit low and has excessive motion when kicked. The forward clamp was replaced but the pipes are FUBAR at the joint from it wobbling around. It will make a similar noise heard in the cab when the tailpipe is kicked.

Anybody else run across this one? What was it?

NVH diagnosis can run you around and they're not too well versed at the dealer I bought it from... And looks like I'm the primary diagnostician here...

OP
OP
G

sounds like the t/c. Worst case scenario it's a clutch pack slipping. I doubt that since it is a regular 5.4.

OP
OP
G

Yeah that's it. I found out today something in the TC was bad. They are going to rebuild the tranny at no cost to me with a 12/12000 warranty on it. :D

They gave me a clapped out 98 5.0 Exploder till it's done. Interior resembles the finest restaurant dumpster. :barf:

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad I stumbled on this thread...I've been having the same problem, but until today i didn't know it was a problem. I thought it was actually the road making the noise. I don't know tons about tanny's, what is a TC lock-up solenoid?? How long did it take to fix?? I have a 48mo/ 48K mile ulitmate extended warranty with 28K miles left on it...think is a problem they will honor and fix under warranty??

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
okay, now i know what "t/c" means...how did the dealer figure out the problem?? did they have to take the tranny apart?? of were they able to do a diagnostic test??

OP
OP
G

it was the torque converter that was bad. they replaced it...

they were supposed to rebuild the tranny... and that's what the paper said... but i spied on the tranny shop while they were holding the truck and they didnt start on it till the afternoon that i picked it up.

looked like they pulled the driveshaft(s), dropped the crossmember, unbolted the tranny and moved it back far enough to get the torque converter out without pulling the tranny all the way. half @$$ed 'rebuild' but 13k on it so far and it seems to be ok.

the shuddering is caused by the internal clutch (lockup) intermittently grabbing during a shift.

my experience was bad with this... had to bring it in about 5 times and then complain to the general manager of the dealership before the service guys would even acknowledge that there was a problem with it.

good luck and be persistent.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
talked to some tranny people, and they said ford has had this problem for 8 years. also said that they have sometimes had good luck by flushing and re-filling with an anti-shudder lube as well as the new transmission fluid.

problem with my extended warranty...if it's not broke they won't cover it...won't even cover it if it's not working right, cause it's not broke.

did you get the new t/c for free under your warranty??

OP
OP
G

ya it was 'free' but not under the factory warranty due to the mileage... it was done under the state mandated used car warranty.

my opinion: if it shudders it *is* broken!

your tranny shop said it was a problem for 8 years... that means it's a problem... if it was not broke it wouldnt be a problem... would it?

OP
OP
G

I had a 1997 Expedition EB w/104k and a TON of problems. I sold it and bought a CLEAN 99 Expedition EB w/ 52k w/ all maintenence records, my other cars are an 03 Acura CL-S 6MT, 00 Lexus GS400 (wife) and of course my Civic. The newer truck drives better, the engine seems more powerful, a lot quieter, and the truck overall seems to be built better. The steering is still a little akward (Im used to Hondas). I hear a lot of drivetrain noises. When you get on it it feels like its pulling back. The engine is strong but it seems like the transmission cant keep up with the engine. When the truck shifts to overdrive it makes this sound like running over test strips on the road. Is this the same issue everyone one is having in this thread? Why did Ford change the AWD setup from the 97 model? In my old 97 I had the option of selecting the AWD, in this one its on all the time, which I dont like (to me it seems like more wear and tear). This is my first domestic vehicle. I bought it to tow my SCCA race Honda Civic and equipment to events. My brother has a 99 Toyota Land Cruiser and that thing drives flawlessly. You cant even hear/feel the 4WD engage. I hate to say this but this might be my last Ford. Please tell me what this is....Thanks.