Side mirror not locked into position and causing it to fold going down the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superfordfan

Reaction score
We have a 2011 Limited and have been having a frustrating issue with the passenger side mirror that is just driving me nuts. The mirror doesn't lock into a position and we just position it so that either driver can see out of it. Because it doesn't lock into place, the force of the wind forces the mirror to slightly fold in and because of this, one cant see out of it when switching lanes or backing out of places. I have tried to fold the mirrors in using the power button hoping to reset the mirror, but only the drivers side mirror folds in while the passenger side just stays there. I don't know if there is a gear inside of the mirror that might be broken/stripped? I'm not sure if this is a problem that anyone else has experienced, but i was hoping maybe someone can help me with. My wife is tired of having to roll down her window to reposition the mirror for me, especially in the winter (LOL).

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2011 Limited and have been having a frustrating issue with the passenger side mirror that is just driving me nuts. The mirror doesn't lock into a position and we just position it so that either driver can see out of it. Because it doesn't lock into place, the force of the wind forces the mirror to slightly fold in and because of this, one cant see out of it when switching lanes or backing out of places. I have tried to fold the mirrors in using the power button hoping to reset the mirror, but only the drivers side mirror folds in while the passenger side just stays there. I don't know if there is a gear inside of the mirror that might be broken/stripped? I'm not sure if this is a problem that anyone else has experienced, but i was hoping maybe someone can help me with. My wife is tired of having to roll down her window to reposition the mirror for me, especially in the winter (LOL).

You will have to order and install a new power mirror assembly.

The existing painted or chrome cap can be transferred to the new mirror assembly.

The inner door panel must be removed to install the new mirror assembly.

JerryT

Reaction score
I broke my drive side mirror 2 times and had to replace it twice. Ordered a new mirror, chrome , removed the door panel and replaced it. Has a small dc motor which controls the mirror position. Was easy to replace. You can do it yourself. I think it took me a total of 1.5 hours from start to finish.

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
Another item on Ford's cash cow service list. A power mirror assembly will take care of that, but those are expensive. Like the Deployable running boards, they are prone to repair. As you know, the big profit for Ford lies in its repair services, not in sales. They don't call them "Stealerships " for nothing. As for me, if that happens, I'm placing the mirror in a comfortable position for me and the Mrs., and using some clear gorilla tape to hold it securely in place. I had to do that with a Yukon I previously owned. Badda bing, badda boom...problem solved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt