Suspension Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtalbert63

Reaction score
I am stumped by this one. Bought a 2000 Expedition with 165,000 miles on it. Eddie Bauer in really good condition. I have a suspension rattle in the front driver side (to me sounds like a bad shock).

I have replaced:
All 4 shocks (torqued to spec)
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links
Driver side upper control arm
Driver side lower ball joint

I feel like I am chasing a ghost. What else in the driver side wheel well could possibly cause this noise?

I have checked my wheel well liner and it is not loose. To me it does not sound like a metal on metal, rather just a clunk when hitting a pot hole (shock extended type).

Here is the craziest thing, it will disappear for a day or several trips in the car. Hit the right pot hole and it’ll be consistent for 20 miles or so and then quiet back down.

Anyone got any suggestions other than take it to a shop and have them fix it??

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am stumped by this one. Bought a 2000 Expedition with 165,000 miles on it. Eddie Bauer in really good condition. I have a suspension rattle in the front driver side (to me sounds like a bad shock).

I have replaced:
All 4 shocks (torqued to spec)
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links
Driver side upper control arm
Driver side lower ball joint

I feel like I am chasing a ghost. What else in the driver side wheel well could possibly cause this noise?

I have checked my wheel well liner and it is not loose. To me it does not sound like a metal on metal, rather just a clunk when hitting a pot hole (shock extended type).

Here is the craziest thing, it will disappear for a day or several trips in the car. Hit the right pot hole and it’ll be consistent for 20 miles or so and then quiet back down.

Anyone got any suggestions other than take it to a shop and have them fix it??

Thanks!

Is it possible something inside the engine compartment is loose? Such as the coolant overflow jug, the air filter box, etc.? Are all coolant hoses secured with the necessary brackets? How about the hood latch? The hood hinges and struts? Are the headlamps secure in their mounting?

The rattle may be something that is not in the suspension, but the noise makes you believe it is.

OP
OP
M

mtalbert63

Reaction score
When I reach down and grab the steering shaft from underneath the hood, there is play in it but I don’t know if that is normal. I’m talking about the aluminum shaft that runs from the steering wheel to the steering box.

OP
OP
M

mtalbert63

Reaction score
I cannot feel the clunk through the steering at all. I forgot to mention that I also replaced the outer tie rod end on that side. Took it to a suspension shop and had it checked and aligned and still have the clunk. Those guys felt as though everything was tight but I do not know how thorough they were.

I am starting to wonder if it could be the front drive shaft. My thought is that if it was that drive shaft, it should show so other indications such as vibration or something when driving? I have no other symptoms than the clunk while driving over depressions in the road.