Window Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today the passenger window failed to roll down (stuck closed) and I immediately thought regulator. After reaching my destination I realized that the motor was engaging in both directions and stopping in full up and down positions, with an occasional bit of window movement in the up position. In all likelihood the window clips have detached from the glass so I ordered 3M Channel Bonding and Sidelite Adhesive for the repair and hopefully won't find any other surprises in the door.

I plan to use a dispensing gun and mixing tube to minimize the work time since this stuff sets quickly. Any alternative adhesive recommendations before I commit to this repair?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the glass was detached from regulator, the window would not stay up. Have to pull door panel and take a look. May have stripped some of the plastic gears.

OP
OP
D

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It turns out that the window was completely detached from the regulator. I have in-channel rain guards that apparently provided just enough tension to keep the window in the upright position when the regulator disengaged. Surprisingly, I did not encounter the typical clamp that requires adhesive mounting to the glass. Below is a pic of the rubber padded clamp that utilizes bolt pressure to secure the glass. I used alcohol to clean the rubber pads and mounting areas at the bottom of the window, moved the regulator to top position, and hand torqued to reasonable pressure. I also took the opportunity to grease the regulator tracks. I'm sure the 3M epoxy will come in handy for another project.

I don't know what year this was implemented this but it's a significant improvement to the old design.

Window Clamp.png