12V Power Ports Hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardrocker

Reaction score
I just spent some time investigating this same issue. My new dashcam plugged into the 12v outlet stays powered for about 30 minutes. I've checked for a software update and it doesn't find one. I don't really want to have to unplug the dashcam every time I park.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Update: decided to just use the USB ports to power the Dashcam (for now) because 1) they definitely turn off after a minute or two after opening/closing the doors, and 2) the power indicator on my 12v usb adapter is still ON after several hours of being away from the vehicle.
Info for Those that use the USB plugs located in the Charging well to power a dash cam :
( Rove in my case) The dash came works as intended, powering on and off when starting or leaving vehicle. But this goes to hell fast when connecting a smart phone with Android Auto to the second USB port. Google maps distorts to be unreadable and after a while the screen of despair ( connected equipment not compatible) pops up and you are done with your setup.
Using any of the power outlets which power off by design after while) will not an allow the camera to operate surveillance mode during nighttime with vehicle off.
This requires hardwiring , with a special wiring kit, to the fuse box located in the passenger side foot well. Quick camera connection dongles to insert in the harness above mirror are NOT available for the 2019 Exp. Platinum (with a 16 hole connector) I inquired with manufacturers. ( there are plentiful connectors for the F150 and maybe is different for newer Expeditions)
PS side note:I rewired the dash board 12 V outlet to ALWAYS HOT to accept a 9 watt solar trickle charger which I keep on the dash. Any other location is not practical as vehicle is parked for days on end at my off the grid cabin and looses power. That is also why I need the camera to operate in park/surveillance mode . This will draw additional battery power. Hence the hardwire kit, which incorporates a low battery cut off, which the vehicle inherently also has.
Hope this info helps fellow folks installing cameras.
BTW:The amount of wiring harnesses under the footwell trim is mind boggling

Last edited:

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Info for Those that use the USB plugs located in the Charging well to power a dash cam :
( Rove in my case) The dash came works as intended, powering on and off when starting or leaving vehicle. But this goes to hell fast when connecting a smart phone with Android Auto to the second USB port. Google maps distorts to be unreadable and after a while the screen of despair ( connected equipment not compatible) pops up and you are done with your setup.
Using any of the power outlets which power off by design after while) will not an allow the camera to operate surveillance mode during nighttime with vehicle off.
This requires hardwiring , with a special wiring kit, to the fuse box located in the passenger side foot well. Quick camera connection dongles to insert in the harness above mirror are NOT available for the 2019 Exp. Platinum (with a 16 hole connector) I inquired with manufacturers. ( there are plentiful connectors for the F150 and maybe is different for newer Expeditions)
PS side note:I rewired the dash board 12 V outlet to ALWAYS HOT to accept a 9 watt solar trickle charger which I keep on the dash. Any other location is not practical as vehicle is parked for days on end at my off the grid cabin and looses power. That is also why I need the camera to operate in park/surveillance mode . This will draw additional battery power. Hence the hardwire kit, which incorporates a low battery cut off, which the vehicle inherently also has.
Hope this info helps fellow folks installing cameras.
BTW:The amount of wiring harnesses under the footwell trim is mind boggling

FWIW, since my original comments on this thread, I have hardwired my camera using the manufacturers harness and the truck's fuse box. Def. the way to go, at least with mine.