2010 Expy EL Rear A/C Leak - Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Back in May, I lost the A/C in my expy, and I noticed a hissing sound coming from the rear A/C Unit. After some diagnosing, I concluded it was the evaporator and bought a used Rear HVAC Assembly.

I have the new unit hooked up, I've replaced all necessary seals, and the system still won't hold a vacuum.

I decided to fill it up with 12oz of refrigerant, and there is still a hissing sound coming from the exact same place in the rear unit, even with the new unit installed.

Are there any other places in the rear where a leak could spring? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the vehicles I have had with rear ac, which were suburbans and a second gen durango, it was the lines going to the rear unit. Suburban I found aftermarket soft lines, which worked fine. Durango the rear lines were out of production. I ended up finding the leak in a hard line, Evac the system, clean the leak area and sealed it with two part epoxy.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you not pull a vacuum to see if it held before filling?

OP
OP
S20Workstation4

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the vehicles I have had with rear ac, which were suburbans and a second gen durango, it was the lines going to the rear unit. Suburban I found aftermarket soft lines, which worked fine. Durango the rear lines were out of production. I ended up finding the leak in a hard line, Evac the system, clean the leak area and sealed it with two part epoxy.
Thank you. How could I test and see if the lines are leaking?
Would it be something like a pinhole leak?

Stanisz73

Reaction score
On my 2013, one of the rear lines was leaking. That would have been a time consuming swap since those lines run across the length of the truck. I disconnected the rear lines from the rest of the circuit underhood, and bought a Rear A/C Block Off Kit on Amazon for $18.

I don't have rear air anymore but the front works fine. My Expi is old now and I'm good as long as I have air at all!

pitdexion

Reaction score
Used part could be bad. Hissing is a huge leak so get some UV dye and a cheap a/c black light. You could also get a block off kit and eliminate the rear though it is nice having cool air blowing on the back of my head.

OP
OP
S20Workstation4

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Used part could be bad. Hissing is a huge leak so get some UV dye and a cheap a/c black light. You could also get a block off kit and eliminate the rear though it is nice having cool air blowing on the back of my head.
That could be a possibility. I UV tested the system the other day, and found a haze of dye around the junction block, where the rear lines connect to the auxiliary unit.
I bought new seals for the lines, but once bolted up, I can see a gap between the blocks. I may have bent the lines during the removal process, due to all the corrosion....

I'm going to be diagnosing more later, I'll update what I find.

OP
OP
S20Workstation4

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: It ended up being a pinhole leak in the auxiliary High-pressure line. Put some JB Weld on the line and all is good. A/C has been working great for the past 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

-Joe