2010 Expy EL Rear A/C Leak - Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Back in May, I lost the A/C in my expy, and I noticed a hissing sound coming from the rear A/C Unit. After some diagnosing, I concluded it was the evaporator and bought a used Rear HVAC Assembly.

I have the new unit hooked up, I've replaced all necessary seals, and the system still won't hold a vacuum.

I decided to fill it up with 12oz of refrigerant, and there is still a hissing sound coming from the exact same place in the rear unit, even with the new unit installed.

Are there any other places in the rear where a leak could spring? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the vehicles I have had with rear ac, which were suburbans and a second gen durango, it was the lines going to the rear unit. Suburban I found aftermarket soft lines, which worked fine. Durango the rear lines were out of production. I ended up finding the leak in a hard line, Evac the system, clean the leak area and sealed it with two part epoxy.

OP
OP
S20Workstation4

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
On the vehicles I have had with rear ac, which were suburbans and a second gen durango, it was the lines going to the rear unit. Suburban I found aftermarket soft lines, which worked fine. Durango the rear lines were out of production. I ended up finding the leak in a hard line, Evac the system, clean the leak area and sealed it with two part epoxy.
Thank you. How could I test and see if the lines are leaking?
Would it be something like a pinhole leak?

Stanisz73

Reaction score
On my 2013, one of the rear lines was leaking. That would have been a time consuming swap since those lines run across the length of the truck. I disconnected the rear lines from the rest of the circuit underhood, and bought a Rear A/C Block Off Kit on Amazon for $18.

I don't have rear air anymore but the front works fine. My Expi is old now and I'm good as long as I have air at all!