Help! I just paid 2K for AC Repair have more Problems Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pasaune

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL 5.4 with 194Kmiles. A couple of weeks ago I heard a loud rubbing sound and smelled burnt rubber and it immediately started blowing hot air from the AC.

I took it to a mechanic and he said the compressor went out. Later, he called and said the condenser is also bad.

I go to pick up the car today and immediately notice the air recycle door is no longer working and a red fluid all over the ground. They said they will fix the door and they forgot to cleanup the transmission fluid.

Now I have noticed there is no condensation under the vehicle after idling 30 min in 100 degrees. Also, the AC gets hotter when I am not moving. Also, the car idles at 1K RPM and it used to be more around 750. I paid 2K for a new compressor and condenser. What should I do?

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
I would take the vehicle to a different shop, preferably a shop that specializes in A/C Repair. Have the new shop check the pressure and ensure the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system.
A professional and reputable A/C Shop would find the cause and should also be able to tell you if you needed a new condenser & compressor.

The 5.4 3V specs, at HOT Idle, should be 600rpm in Park and between 500-550PM in Drive/Reverse. When the ambient temp is high (usually above 98 degrees Fahrenheit), the A/C system won't function correctly at the hot idle specs, so the PCM will automatically bump the idle up to a desired point. Is the car idling at 1k when the A/C is on, or off? Either way, the car should not have a hot idle of 1,000 rpm.

Check to make sure that the clutch fan is kicking on when the A/C is activated. Poor A/C performance when not moving, and proper performance while driving, may indicate the fan clutch is not properly engaging. The fan needs to be running to pull air through the condenser.

Hope this helps,
-Joseph