2011 XLT. What is the correct coil pack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callwill

Reaction score
125k on my Expy. Have no idea how long the plugs have been in there, bought it @18 mos ago and it is running great. I have plugs and started thinking that as long as the plugs are being changed may as well do coil packs. Started looking and there are a number of different MC numbers thrown around on some of the seller sites as being the correct one.
Rock auto says brown boot DG521.
Are there any recommendations on aftermarket brands.
The plugs i have for it are MC SP509x.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing this soon too, but you gotta be sure here, cause from what my trusted mechanic told me, the brown & black boots are NOT interchangeable & will cause some serious issues if you use the wrong ones...

And yea, I agree that you might as well do it all at the same time since you're gonna be in there anyways and it's all part of the same operation :)

But as Logan said, a stealership should be able to tell you what to use....however, and you probably know this already, but the stealership will NOT sell them to you unless THEY install them, and the quotes I got from 2 different local dealers are both in the $1200 range to do the coil packs, boots & plugs.... f*** that, when you can get the parts from any number of places for WAY, WAY less....

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing this soon too, but you gotta be sure here, cause from what my trusted mechanic told me, the brown & black boots are NOT interchangeable & will cause some serious issues if you use the wrong ones...

And yea, I agree that you might as well do it all at the same time since you're gonna be in there anyways and it's all part of the same operation :)

But as Logan said, a stealership should be able to tell you what to use....however, and you probably know this already, but the stealership will NOT sell them to you unless THEY install them, and the quotes I got from 2 different local dealers are both in the $1200 range to do the coil packs, boots & plugs.... f*** that, when you can get the parts from any number of places for WAY, WAY less....
Yours won't sell you parts without them installing? Glad the one by my house isn't like that, actually found out that buying certain things directly from them is cheaper, to buy the oil filter for my expedition is about $15, but at the dealership I spend $8. But $1200 isn't bad for all that work, my dealership charges $1000 just to install spark plugs. Love living in AZ.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
125k on my Expy. Have no idea how long the plugs have been in there, bought it @18 mos ago and it is running great. I have plugs and started thinking that as long as the plugs are being changed may as well do coil packs. Started looking and there are a number of different MC numbers thrown around on some of the seller sites as being the correct one.
Rock auto says brown boot DG521.
Are there any recommendations on aftermarket brands.
The plugs i have for it are MC SP509x.
Also just stick with ford oem if you can for the plugs and boots, I used duralast ignition coils and they don't seem to do as well as the oem ones that were on there. But if money is tight at the moment duralast is great for lifetime warranties, might have to keep replacing them until you can get better ones like me, but at least the replacements don't cost anything.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coil packs either work or they don't and you can test them before just tossing perfectly good ones out. They are not a routine maintenance item and will likely last the life of the vehicle. 214k on my OEMs and still going.

however, and you probably know this already, but the stealership will NOT sell them to you unless THEY install them, and the quotes I got from 2 different local dealers are both in the $1200 range to do the coil packs, boots & plugs.... f*** that, when you can get the parts from any number of places for WAY, WAY less....

That's specific to your dealership and is absolutely not the norm. The entire purpose of the parts counter is to sell parts without service. And I live in PA also btw. Find a new dealership.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ignition coil packs are recommended to inspect and replace as needed every 60,000 miles or 4 years.
1000004384.jpg1000004383.jpg