2014 or 2017? And why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Limited, which replaced my 2009 Limited. It currently has 80k miles on it, and the only issues I've had are the rear HVAC actuator and, as of the other day, a small coolant leak at the water pump. I'll replace the pump, belt, tensioner, and thermostat while I'm in there. I am hanging on to this one as long as I can because I believe the 5.4 is a very reliable motor, timing issues notwithstanding. Whatever you end up going with, how it has been maintained will dictate how it will hold up for you.

sboychuck

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Limited, which replaced my 2009 Limited. It currently has 80k miles on it, and the only issues I've had are the rear HVAC actuator and, as of the other day, a small coolant leak at the water pump. I'll replace the pump, belt, tensioner, and thermostat while I'm in there. I am hanging on to this one as long as I can because I believe the 5.4 is a very reliable motor, timing issues notwithstanding. Whatever you end up going with, how it has been maintained will dictate how it will hold up for you.
You should consider a full tim8ng job when the water pump is done. There is labor overlap, and the phasers, chains, roller followers, lash adjusters, etc. will need to be done by 100K. If you are keeping it long term, you should consider it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a bad idea to do a timing job on a 5.4 as it will be a 10 year old truck, I’d figure that into your cost if you can’t verify it’s been done. Be sure the engine has been previously maintained though (oil changes etc) and start it cold to verify no nasty rattle.

Like I said, the timing chain tensioners are what snowballs these motors issues. The plastic tensioners were used throughout the entire production run of the 5.4 and will eventually fail. If you fix this before it has went on too long the engine will be good for the long haul.

ZigZagFred

Reaction score
Hi, fellow Expy people. We drove our 2006 2nd Gen for 15 years. We recently upgraded to a 2019 4th Gen. It is a whole new, re-engineered Expedition. New engine, new transmission, new frame, new suspension, new body panels, new seats, new electronics, and a new dashboard. If you're looking to upgrade, I suggest skipping the 3rd Gen 2014 and the 2017 and go with a 4th Gen (2018+). You'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My sample of 1. Get the 2017 if it has HD Tow.

Just back from a weekend camping towing my ~6500 pound travel trailer with my 2017 XLT. 12 mpg at the speed limit if anyone is interested here in tidewater Virginia. 90°F during the day. Transmission run no hotter than 203°F towing and just under 200°F when touring (I was checking out of curiosity). HD cooling is part of the HD Tow package along with an excellent proportional brake controller, sway control, and other goodied. Truck just rolled over 40,000 miles.

This is my 2d Expedition set up the same way. The 2007 ran 175,000 miles before I traded it. Wonderful tow vehicle (towing the same travel trailer) with the 5.4V8 -- but if offered a choice I'd take the 3.5EB without hesitation as it's a much better engine for my purposes.

Other than the stupid knob on the console in lieu of a proper gear selector the 2018+ models are at least as good as my 2017 if they have HD Tow.

Regardless of what you choose always get HD Tow (did I mention that?). Costs lunch money from the factory. Max Tow on both mine was/is 9200 pounds and neither blinked towing the 6500 pound camper.

-- Chuck

Reaction score
I own a 2010 EL Ltd, a 2013 Ltd and a 2014 Ltd, all 4WD. Never owned anything newer but no desire to. I have a 2003 EB with over 200K on it with nothing but oil changes, still runs fantastic (though the suspension and steering are a bit antique compared to the 3rd Gen), so I trust the 5.4L. I did have to have a timing job done on the 2010 at 145K, but even with all new rocker/lifters that was only $4,500 at my shop, and I factored that cost in when I bought it, just as I did with the 2013 and 2014, though they have not needed it yet. To me $4,500 every 150K is a small price to pay for such a great vehicle.

We tow a boat about like yours (prolly 1K heavier) in the hills with the 2010 and it is GREAT, as it has the tow package.

The only reason I wd even think of going to a 4th or 5th gen Expy would be to get one of the 2023's that has a locking rear diff, for the off-road hunting I do, but the 3rd Gen's have a very sophisticated 4WD and, to tell the truth, I have never wished I had a locking diff. Just be kind of cool to know I did! :)

Reaction score
I am probably jinxing myself by saying anything about my 2010 Expedition, but It was bought new & the 4 things that have been repaired in the 14 years of ownership are:

Fan speed switch had to be replaced as it didn't work on the low speeds of 1 & 2.

The brake light switch went bad preventing it from being shifted out of park, lucky it happened in my driveway, but was a ***** taking apart the center console to release the safety switch, however if it was an F-150 there is a small tab that can be removed on the console to access the safety switch. (The Expy has that tab. but it is decorative only, no access available.)

The power pedals gave up in October last year, (between a short wife and tall husband it gets moved a lot in 14 years)

Most recent the heater core hoses and the thermostat went bad as they were original to the vehicle.

3 of the 4 repairs were all cover under Fords CSP (Continued Service Plan) during that time. Otherwise, it gets regular oil changes and at 50,000 miles all fluids were changed.
And as I write this it only has 78,500 miles on it.

Fingers crossed for another 10+ years of use with minimal repairs.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just moved from a 2010 EB with HD tow, 3.15 gears to a 2017 Limited with HD tow, 3.73 and the 2017 is light years better tow vehicle. The power on tap is so much more noticeable. The 2017 is just more refined and the wife really likes the features over the older Expy. $23k for this new ride, my other option was going Gen 4, 2019-2020, w/decent miles and then have to add an extended warranty to cover all the issues the Gen 4s have had, easy $50k.
I'm extremely happy with the 17 choice so far and will bank some money for future issues at a 50% savings.

Last edited: