2016 Intermittent loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan L

Reaction score
My 2016 with 106k miles has developed an intermittent power loss while driving. No codes, no misfires. Started about 2k miles ago. Does not matter the speed, the RPM goes to idle, and within seconds the power returns. May happen consecutive times and then the symptoms vanish for many days. I’ve been researching the internet for weeks and fellow DIYers seem to be throwing parts at the problem without updating once the issue is solved (I’m also guilty of this).

Today I inspected the throttle body and noticed black specs that seem to be carbon. I’m not sure if this is the issue, but it seems plausible. Look closely at the picture and you’ll see one big spec and some pepper flakes.

Curious if anyone has already been there, fixed it, and can clue me in as to what to do next if the symptoms return. It could be SO many things, and has been a real challenge to self-diagnose.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.jpeg
    IMG_5034.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 8

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I've heard of this stemming from a fuel pump failing. Try searching for those symptoms. The throttle body failure is also common, but I think it usually throws a code.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
This is an easy one. Have you had the TPS replaced yet? There was a TSB for that. The new TPS has to be calibrated. I have the 16' and that is the only thing, sans a battery, that I've ever purchased for the vehicle. Great truck. I think the 15-17 were the best years for the ecoboost expedition.

doonuld

Reaction score
my 14' had a bad relay that would kill everything for a second then continue like nothing ever happened, I swapped the relays around and fixed the issue, but now I'm not 100% where I put the bad one. Now I don't even remember where it was. It was probably ecc or fuel pump relay. It's a free and easy diag to try.

Calman2k

Reaction score
I have a '16 and had an issue similar to that. It turned out to be spark plugs. My mechanic (super good guy, even told me what NOT to fix since it wasn't broken enough yet and save some money) said the way Ford programs the computers it takes a lot to throw a code to indicate plugs. Apparently, the plug was so bad you could even see blow-by on the ceramic. After we changed the plugs everything was fine. I had them changed because on my way back home to TN from KS The car just had no power and it would run down to idle and start stuttering. After a few seconds it would try again and maybe a minute or two later it would do it again. Not sure if its the same thing, but apparently this model year is pretty hard on plugs.