2017 Expedition - excessive strut replacement ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillK11210

Reaction score
Bought this vehicle new. It now has 68,000 miles.

1) At approximately 35,000 miles had to have both leaking front struts replaced. (dealer handled under some program)
Now both are just starting to leak.
Probably will replace soon.
2) At approximately 55,000 miles both rear struts replaced.
Now, right rear strut is leaking. (in just 15,000 miles!) Will be replaced very soon. Under warranty.

By far, mostly street/highway driving. NO off road!

So, just recap, this vehicle now (rear) has/is going thru almost 3 sets of struts - original/1st replacement/now 2nd replacement - in 68,000 miles!!

All struts are OEM.

This cannot be what it should be.

Should I switch to different brand struts? What brand?

What do I have to lose? The OEMs are not lasting.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Either you are one very unlucky person with getting multiple sets of defective/crappy quality struts, or they are not being installed correctly, cause they should definitely be lasting way longer...

I would lean towards the latter, but that's just me :)

But just curious, did you have an alignment done after each new set were installed, and is the rest of the suspension in good shape, including the tires, wheel hubs & bearings ? Any of these parts being worn or shot could help to cause strut failure too, even though that is also unlikely at that low mileage....

So yea, I would not blame you at all for going to another brand, and the 2 Jason listed above are some of the better ones !