Mass Airflow Sensor replacement..yes, no, maybe so ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Hello all,

As the title says, I am looking for information on replacing/not replacing the MAF on my 011 Expy EL 5.4 w/82k on it...

1. Why did you do it ? MPG, running rough, part of scheduled maintenance or other reason ?
2. I know the how part is easy... disconnect, unscrew, pull out, then reverse. But does it need programmed to function properly ?
3. Reasons NOT to do it ?

My reason is that my mpg has dropped off in recent months, from ~16 down to ~12-10, and I have read this can be one symptom of an MAF going bad or already bad. I have already done all of the normal maintenance items like keeping the oil/filter changed (Full synth 5W-20), rotate/balance/alignment, replaced the air filter and typically use a tank of 93 gas on or around each oil change to clean out gunk...

I will also be replacing the plugs & coil packs soon, because it is time, at least according to the owners manual.

Other than the low mpg, it runs great, has good, smooth acceleration, no hesitation, smooth starting, and does not blow any smoke or water vapor out the back..

I'm open to suggestions for anything I may be overlooking, so TIA :D

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
9ae6e69d1aa68b84b5ecd62b8f575e7b7ec77b464337393a4e2a369e098d12f0.jpeg

OP
OP
BigOleFordFan

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Yep, I know about that cleaner, however, all the pics I have seen of the replacement sensors for my 011, it looks like a sealed unit (unless I am missing something), compared to some other vehicles, where the part holding the sensor is an more like a pipe coupling and part of the intake tunnel (like the one on that cleaner can, and that part is taken off by loosening the hose clamps, after which you can look down into the coupling & see the elements to spray the above cleaner onto in order to clean them...

But in my Expy, it is not like that, it appears that the entire sensor is removed by unplugging the wiring connector & removing 2 screws & pulling it out, then replacing it in the reverse.....

Perhaps on that 2nd pic, that tiny screw in the middle can be removed to get to the elements ?

Attachments

• MAF Sensor.jpg
    MAF Sensor.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MAF Sensor-1.jpg
    MAF Sensor-1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 2