2017 ford expedition max acceleration surge and no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coxwain

Reaction score
My wife got into a rear end collision last week and complained about the inability to break and the surge in acceleration. After she stopped, she tried to move the vehicle and said it was performing the same. I went to pick her up and drove home. The vehicle seemed fine to me. From what I read, 99% of these reports are people pressing the accelerator instead of the brake.
So a little suspicious of the reported sudden acceleration caused the accident.

The next day, my son drove the expedition up north to the cottage and trailered the 19' boat to the launch, around 5km from the cottage, left the truck and trailer at the launch, then came back at the end of the day. in 4H he backed in the trailer then loaded the boat from the water. When he went to drive the truck started rolling back into the water and the brake had no power and he had to push all the way to the floor. He said he turned the truck off and back on and it was fine. Could be driver error again?

I called my mechanic and he said to bring it in and see if there is any codes. No codes. he did mention a throttle body could do this but no codes from that.

Any other thoughts?
BTW vehicle has 200,000km

Thanks

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have a 17, but your signature says you have a 5.3 (I'm guessing you meant 5.4) I don't think that year came with anything other than the 3.5 Twin turbo V6?

Its important because a turbo engine more than likely has a different brake assist than a naturally aspirated engine. For example, my 5.4 09 Expy has a vacuum brake booster that relies on vacuum from the intake manifold to help assist the brakes. My Turbo Fusion has a hydraulic assist because the turbo creates positive pressure and will not with with a vacuum booster.

Everything that happened could be a result of your brake assist module failing which would then mean no assist and it would be manual brakes. I would see if you can take it to a shop and have them run a daig on the brake system.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2017 Expedition models in the USA were the subject of a safety recall involving the brake master cylinder and booster.

Can you check to determine if it is the subject of a safety recall in Canada?

OP
OP
C

coxwain

Reaction score
The 2017 Expedition models in the USA were the subject of a safety recall involving the brake master cylinder and booster.

Can you check to determine if it is the subject of a safety recall in Canada?
i do not see the recall on the my vehicle in canada. it might not have had the same part

rapower

Reaction score
Your Wife is not at fault. Two weeks ago on August 2nd 2024, I rented a 2024 Ford Expedition Max from Hertz- Thrifty at SEA Airport. 3rd floor parking garage. It was backed into a spot, facing an opposing row of (thankfully) unoccupied rentals, also backed in. I got in the truck, adjusted the mirrors, my seat, connected my phone, put on my seatbelt and (cold) started the engine. The second I turned the knob from "P" to "D", the accelerator pegged full throttle. I stomped on the brakes and for a split second it disengaged, took my foot off and it was off to the races again- I took a hard left and 50 feet later t-boned the drivers front of Car 2, tossing it into Car 3, which launched in parallel into Car 4. The three cars hit served as an "external crumple zone" and the airbag thankfully did not deploy. Hertz is sending bills for all four vehicles. The good news is I am well insured on multiple fronts and beyond PSTD and soft tissue injuries, on the mend. My hope is the insurance firms on my side will conduct proper investigations. I could have just as easily launched off the third floor of the parking garage and possibly killed someone, including myself.
I will never drive or ride in a Ford truck again.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 5