AC after Hose replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
I had the Y-connector heater core hoses replaced at the dealer last weekend. The next day, I noticed the air conditioning wasn’t as cold as it should be. At first, I thought it might be my imagination, but after driving it yesterday, it’s clear that it’s not blowing cold air. It seems to blow cooler when I first turn it on, but the air gets warmer as it runs.

I’m wondering if this is just a coincidence or if it could be related to the recent work. Could it be low on Freon, or is it possible something was damaged or affected while replacing and testing the hoses?

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check to see if your belt didn't spin off. If it didn't , check to see if your compressor clutch engages.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Curious to what you found? Did you revisit the dealership?
After getting the two Y hoses replaced, I took the car home and, as I always do, checked the work. I noticed the coolant reservoir was almost empty. I took it back, and they told me the system “burped,” which they said caused the drop in coolant. However, I think the system should have been fully burped when the original job was done. Since the hose repair, the AC hasn’t been working properly. It’s not cold—sometimes it starts off cooler, but as you drive, it’s only slightly cool. The AC on this vehicle has never impressed me. I have only Toyotas to compare it to, and my 20-year-old Toyota with 240,000 miles still has an AC that can make the car feel like a refrigerator, and I’ve never even had to recharge the Freon. People actually ask me to turn it up because it’s too cold.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The AC on this vehicle has never impressed me. I have only Toyotas to compare it to, and my 20-year-old Toyota with 240,000 miles still has an AC that can make the car feel like a refrigerator,

Ditto. I've been saying the exact same thing for 5+ years. I think it's terrible. I run mine at 68-70. It's OK. My wife's 9 YO Rav4 is down right cold at 75, and cools quickly. I've had it checked and everything is "normal". Can't wait for the stop sale to be lifted on the Grand Highlander and the TX.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in S Cali and have a 2019 Expedition. A/C blows very cold. Temps here have been 100+. You might check to see if yours had a hose missing for the A/C drain along the firewall. Some were missed in production assembly in 2019. If your not cooling properly you have other issues going on. The only way to tell is gauges to test freon level. If it is very low on freon you may have leak in the system. That takes many steps to confirm that. Good luck. Many scenarios that could be the cause of your problem.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Bmac1955 ....I've had mine checked multiple times by two different dealers. Everything is "normal" or "operating as expected". The usual dealer lines. I don't drive it a lot in the heat, so I'm kinda over it. It's just frustrating. I'm sure if I rolled in there without a warranty, it would be fixed. I just know it's not right.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I'm following this thread because mine is going in next week for Rear AC blowing warm. Front blows cold.
But I did recently replaced the Y fittings, this weas 4K miles ago. I think mine might be the rear evaporator, but it is a slight coincidence.