AC after Hose replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
I live in S Cali and have a 2019 Expedition. A/C blows very cold. Temps here have been 100+. You might check to see if yours had a hose missing for the A/C drain along the firewall. Some were missed in production assembly in 2019. If your not cooling properly you have other issues going on. The only way to tell is gauges to test freon level. If it is very low on freon you may have leak in the system. That takes many steps to confirm that. Good luck. Many scenarios that could be the cause of your problem.

I'm following this thread because mine is going in next week for Rear AC blowing warm. Front blows cold.
But I did recently replaced the Y fittings, this weas 4K miles ago. I think mine might be the rear evaporator, but it is a slight coincidence.
Interesting as I did some common sense detective work and ours works better if the rear is on. If the front is on by itself, it blows cool air not cold, as soon as we put the rear on both blow colder good but not great. Weird.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weird.....although, I let my rear run on low all the time. I get annoyed at times because the rear vents close by themselves which means I have to open the diffuser to get sir out of them.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
I live in S Cali and have a 2019 Expedition. A/C blows very cold. Temps here have been 100+. You might check to see if yours had a hose missing for the A/C drain along the firewall. Some were missed in production assembly in 2019. If your not cooling properly you have other issues going on. The only way to tell is gauges to test freon level. If it is very low on freon you may have leak in the system. That takes many steps to confirm that. Good luck. Many scenarios that could be the cause of your problem.
Thank you! I’m in Southern California as well. I checked to see if that elbow was on the firewall, and it’s not. I appreciate you pointing this out. Now that you mention it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen condensate draining from the car, though the front passenger floor isn’t wet. I’m wondering if this could be affecting how cold the AC blows.

Interestingly, this past weekend, the air conditioning was working very well, blowing cold air. Both the front and rear AC were on at the time, but if we shut off the rear AC, the front stops blowing cold. If we run the front and then turn the rear AC on, you can actually feel the air getting colder.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Ditto. I've been saying the exact same thing for 5+ years. I think it's terrible. I run mine at 68-70. It's OK. My wife's 9 YO Rav4 is down right cold at 75, and cools quickly. I've had it checked and everything is "normal". Can't wait for the stop sale to be lifted on the Grand Highlander and the TX.
Me as well, never was impressed by the AC of this vehicle… But I am comparing it to my Toyota. The new Grand Highlander is great… I’d need the new sienna due to the fact that we have five kids and need the room. It has the same drivetrain and MPG. The only thing I don’t like about it is the leaf blower engine that they put in it… Sounds very unrefined and loud.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Curious to what you found? Did you revisit the dealership?
Found nothing yet… Except on the previous thread that I mentioned that elbow on the condensate drain is not there. I did go to the dealer today in person because it’s very challenging to actually talk to someone there and explained to them the situation. They said it could possibly be related to the replacement of the Y connector hoses or it could not they’d have to look at it obviously. The issue is it’s a total pain because they need it for at least a day

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That condensate 90 elbow is a TSB campaign . I had mine installed by Ford covered by this TSB 2 years ago. I showed the service tech the TSB and they took care of it N/C. It was missed during build. Ironically, the port for drain is open and to me let's hot temps from the engine compartment into the plenum which not only create frosting ( Maybe ) but leakage when defrosting into the passenger side carpeting with moisture......

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that TSB 20-2170 for the hose for the evaporator drain. I had that repair or intall done 6/23.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
That condensate 90 elbow is a TSB campaign . I had mine installed by Ford covered by this TSB 2 years ago. I showed the service tech the TSB and they took care of it N/C. It was missed during build. Ironically, the port for drain is open and to me let's hot temps from the engine compartment into the plenum which not only create frosting ( Maybe ) but leakage when defrosting into the passenger side carpeting with moisture......
Interesting, I’ve never noticed any wet carpeting. As I mentioned I’ve seen any condensation dripping from the front of the car…wonder why? And if condensate builds up in the line, would that cause the AC not to perform right? Who knows, we’re just trying to limp it along until we find another vehicle.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
UPDATE: went to dealer in person yesterday, they said the issue may or may not be related, wouldn’t know until they look at it. Which is understandable.

Also…this past weekend, the front air conditioning was working very well, blowing cold air. Both the front and rear AC were on at the time, but if we shut off the rear AC, the front stops blowing cold. If we run the front and then turn the rear AC on, you can actually feel the air getting colder. Wondering what that could be?