295 vs 305 on stock Timberline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack444

Reaction score
I have posted nearly this same thing in the past but with no reply, so I am trying again a little differently (somewhat out of necessity).
Got a sidewall flat today and going to have to replace tires. I have not enjoyed the stock, but they have not been terrible. Previously, I had E rated KO2s on my Excursion because it certainly needed it, so I am looking at KO3s as replacement.
Sizing is my big question here. I like the height on 305/70R18 but the width might kill the fit on stock Timberline suspension. 295/70R18 is nearly what I am after and is confirmed to fit. I am tempted to be the first (confirmed) at the larger size in stock (I know @LazSlate has same width at more than that height but replaced wheels w/ less offset) but this size in 18” bumps to a F rated tire.
So finally to the real question: will I be making a mistake moving into a F rated tire at this lighter vehicle weight, or can I overcome the weight rating with slightly lower pressure?
Let the debate ensue, I’m holding my breath…

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the stock offset of +44, the 305 should clear. When you start going towards 0 or - offset you will run into fender rub issues. The F load rates tires will certainly make it ride rougher. Is comfort important to you? I wouldn’t lower the pressures below 35 or 36 psi for normal use, to try and make it ride with less jouncing.

Edit to add: I will say that you’ll likely need to push the wheel liner in the front, back into the fender some to gain liner clearance. With stock offset it’s not likely to contact the outside sheet metal. On 33s with a +24 offset I have about a 1/2 inch clearance between the liner and the tire tread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mack444

Mack444

Reaction score
Bummer not a lot of feedback here, but wanting to close the loop. I have ordered 295/70R18 BFG KO3, will have them installed next week. The extra plys on the 305 was too much of a wildcard for feel preference.

cptbligh

Reaction score
I think you made the right decision. My 20" E Open County MTs ride like a wagon, I can't imagine how bad an F rated tire would be. You will actually need to run a higher PSI going to an LT tire compared to the stock P metrics to get an equivalent load rating.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you made the right decision, as well, as 305s would possibly rub and definitely not sit right on a wheel made for 285s. I put 305/22s on my Excursion and had nothing but headaches. They rubbed when turned hard, they continuously threw belts, because of the tire bulging in the center and wore out unevenly and a lot faster because I had to run less air.

OP
OP
Mack444

Mack444

Reaction score
Thanks for the support! I had 325s on my excursion and loved how it just handled basically everything in the way, lol! I’ll be posting to the lifted big tires thread after install. I’m hopeful for how the ride will be on highway trips.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the support! I had 325s on my excursion and loved how it just handled basically everything in the way, lol! I’ll be posting to the lifted big tires thread after install. I’m hopeful for how the ride will be on highway trips.
Obviously you had a 4 wheel drive?
Huge difference in sizes of tires.

OP
OP
Mack444

Mack444

Reaction score
4wd plus the 7.3 diesel. She rolled around at 4 tons before the 5 kids, 2 dogs, luggage for a week, and full-size spare.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfbritt3