A/C Blend Door or Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikej8111

Reaction score
Hello,
We’re on a road trip and started having an issue with the AC it’s a 2020 with 72k miles.

Front AC / hear or just the blower on sounds like it’s circulating. Air flow is extremely limted from the face vents, the air when on the floor seems to work.

I stopped at a few rest stops trying to actuate the dampers on the driver side, those are moving.

This seems to be an intermittent symptom. We’ll have freezing cold air blowing on us and then no air movement and sounds like it’s circulating behind the dash.

Off hand does anyone have an idea which actuator this is and is it behind the navigation head unit or passenger foot well? I’ll buy the tools and part from the ford dealer in town so we can keep moving.

Please and thanks in advance.

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a sensing issue. If there's no knocking coming from the dash area, and the door modes cycle fine, then at least the actuator is mechanically sound...

I suggest a re-calibration of the actuators. In the owners manual, in the fuse section, you should see fuses that are listed for the HVAC system, or certain HVAC Actuators. The fuses are most likely located in the passenger compartment fuse box. Find which fuses control the actuators are pull them out for 1 minute. (Car is off). Then, plug them back in and have the vehicle go to the on-position. You should hear the actuators moving and finding their end-positions.

I know the process listed above is for the 3rd gen expeditions, but it is most likely similar for 4th gen Expeditions...

-Joe

OP
OP
M

mikej8111

Reaction score
Joe, thanks for the reply. I’d tend to agree with sensor issue. I’m trying to see the correlation between front AC and Rear. The rear AC doesn’t seem to work at all, only a few times in this 1100 mile trip. The front works and then I can hear the sound of the blower running within the passenger side foot well area. The front cooled seats work regardless and continue to chill your butt! Definitely a bizarre problem. I stopped at Oreillys hoping they had scanner to look at the HVAC module,while I was there my wife gave me a can of air conditioning recharge. I told her that’s not the problem, there is a some other issue and it’s probably a $25 part. Good thing is she still doesn’t want a new one as it’s paid off. Nothing makes a father and husband more furious than a long road trip with normally a reliable vehicle, with no way to fix it. Good thing it’s a Sunday, I was considering buying a new one. Glad I didn’t, that’d be wreckless. I’ll try the fuses now and report back. Thanks

OP
OP
M

mikej8111

Reaction score
Joe,
There was a handful of fuses that I believe were related to the actuators. They’re the small microfuses and didn’t have anything readily to remove them. I actually unlatched all the power supply cables, hand a drink, reconnected and it was a new car. All the settings needed to be programmed. And the best part is the A/C worked in the front and in front the rear. I’ll take that for now and continue doing that until we get back home next Sunday. Deal with it then. I can’t thank you enough.

bityw

Reaction score
Joe,
There was a handful of fuses that I believe were related to the actuators. They’re the small microfuses and didn’t have anything readily to remove them. I actually unlatched all the power supply cables, hand a drink, reconnected and it was a new car. All the settings needed to be programmed. And the best part is the A/C worked in the front and in front the rear. I’ll take that for now and continue doing that until we get back home next Sunday. Deal with it then. I can’t thank you enough.
Which connectors/cables did you disconnect. I’m experiencing similar issues and just need a quick “reset” on this trip until I can get home. Thanks!

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Joe,
You're welcome, I'm glad both A/C Units are working again!
I assume that since your reply, the A/C is still in good working order. How is it holding up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdmoney