Advice on resurrecting my Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colmes

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the forum but not to cars. I used to drive my mother's old 1999 Expedition with a 5.4L Triton when I turned 16 before eventually purchasing my 2017 Ford Fusion Sport in 2020.

The truck has been in my family for a long time now and I love it dearly even though it's been awhile since I drove it. She was running nicely (with the exception of a clogged heater core) after I bought my Fusion in 2020 until about 2022, when I gave it to my little brother to use since he needed a car and I didn't use it much anymore. Long story short a spark plug ended up blowing out on him, so he and his friend decided to try and fix it on their own. After ripping apart the cooling system and unplugging the fuel injectors for God knows what reason, he left it sitting in a field for a month or two before eventually asking me if I wanted it back.

They delivered it on a flatbed to my place and it has sat since. I am a little ashamed at myself for not having fixed it for so long now but I have decided now is the time to work on it again since I have the money and ability to.

My question to all you good folks before I start tearing into her and looking for big issues is what I should know to look at after sitting on concrete for two years. I see it everyday and I am confident that no pests have made their homes inside her. I also am going to manually turn the crank to make sure the engine isn't locked up, drop the tank and clean it of the old fuel, and also drain and replace the coolant and oil. The battery and tires will also be replaced once I get the engine running. Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks y'all. I'll prolly run into some snags here and there and I'd certainly appreciate help from anyone who is willing to offer it.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you still need to deal with the plug issue, and maybe replace the other 7 plugs. If the blown out plug has been out for 2yrs now you may have some corrosion in the combustion chamber on that cylinder, an inspection camera will let you see. I'd check for corrosion on the injectors connectors as well. Check all the coolant and vacuum hoses. Swap the fuel filter.

Unless you know when the other fluids were changed and it wasn't too long ago now is a good time to change those as well. Transmission and filter, power steering, brake, differentials and transfer case if it's 4wd.