Spare tire questions from a Ford noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDNRabbit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too got to test out my spare this weekend. Can confirm there is no TPMS, tire is not perfectly balanced but very usable. Towed a few hundred KM without issue. Glad to have a spare and not repair kit like most cars these days.

Mine is a Crosswind 275/65/R18 A/T

Attachments

• PXL_20240629_113143787.jpg
    PXL_20240629_113143787.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1719872872181485824535760978573.jpg
    1719872872181485824535760978573.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 7

Samantha1

Reaction score
I had to use mine on vacation last month. I got a side puncture in Dallas on my way to Santa Fe. I couldn't find a Toyo Open Country H/T, so I called the Ford dealer in Santa Fe and had them order one. No issues with the spare - a Goodyear Wrangler. Both are what came on the Expedition.
Samantha

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was your spare balanced? Mine wasn't.
Ford doesn't balance spares. On other threads on this forum I have advocated getting your spare balanced and "flipped" so that the wheel faces down, making checking and filling the spare much easier. Thankfully they are still delivered with fully functional "near size" tires. My '22 KR PowerBoost F150 FX4 came with a temporary spare. Imagine losing a tire off road and having to depend on a tire with 3/32" tread depth to get back to civilization....That got replaced.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford doesn't balance spares. On other threads on this forum I have advocated getting your spare balanced and "flipped" so that the wheel faces down, making checking and filling the spare much easier. Thankfully they are still delivered with fully functional "near size" tires. My '22 KR PowerBoost F150 FX4 came with a temporary spare. Imagine losing a tire off road and having to depend on a tire with 3/32" tread depth to get back to civilization....That got replaced.
The fact that Ford doesn't balance spares was a surprise to me. This is my first Ford so the lack of a balanced spare, not to mention the "split" lug nuts, were news to me. I even mention these things in my signature line as my way of hoping other Ford newbies take note.

I flipped my spare, which was an aggressive tread tire, not even close to the Hankook's my vehicle came with until I saw this idea in another thread.

I put this hose on and routed to behind the license plate area and now I can check the spare without having to get on my back under the vehicle. I keep intending to look into routing it into the area where the jack is located but haven't followed up. The wheel faces up so the side that shows when in use is protected.

Boosted

Reaction score
The fact that Ford doesn't balance spares was a surprise to me. This is my first Ford so the lack of a balanced spare, not to mention the "split" lug nuts, were news to me. I even mention these things in my signature line as my way of hoping other Ford newbies take note.

I flipped my spare, which was an aggressive tread tire, not even close to the Hankook's my vehicle came with until I saw this idea in another thread.

I put this hose on and routed to behind the license plate area and now I can check the spare without having to get on my back under the vehicle. I keep intending to look into routing it into the area where the jack is located but haven't followed up. The wheel faces up so the side that shows when in use is protected.
As much as I love the remote fill idea, I'm concerned about the tire Schrader valve being held in the open position for extended time and then having a leaky valve when needed. Make sure to bring a high quality valve cap with you that could prevent an issue.

Are there remote hoses that do not depress the valve stem?

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The differences in O.D. that some of y'all are talking about is no bigger differences than the tire gets as the tread wears down.

And I’d like to see what the “sidewall looks shaved down” means and how it happened.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used a hose on spare tires for years. I have never had an issue with a Schrader valve leaking after a hose is attached.