Another blown expy coming soon!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So jealous...... :drool2:

Now hurry up and get it tuned so we can see the dyno numbers. And post a video of it while you are at it. :pepper:

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Took the Expy to the tuner and now have my "break-in" tune. Much better than the starter tune. She is running pretty good. Has a little get up and go. :) Just need to put 500 miles on her now so I can get my final tune. It was in the mid 90's here today so it was a good test. A/C running full bore...temp gauge never budged. Woo.. hoo..:pepper: I could hear the supercharger whine over the a/c and radio when I got on it. :) :)

Still have to install my Killer Chiller system. This uses the a/c to cool the intercooler fluid while running with the a/c on. It can cool the intercooler well below ambiant temps. This is supposed to help greatly with "heat soak" in the motor.

The stock rubber "shrouding" that is used to channel the air from the intake at the bumper to the radiator no longer fits with the fluidyne heat exchanger mounted. So now I need to fabricate something to work.. Thinking of using sheet aluminum as I would not know where to get the rubber material the factory uses. Maybe use cardboard as a template and transfer it to aluminum. We'll se how well this works..lol

Also need to get my exhaust done!! Work in progress..Need some time... very busy at work now.

Well. I am much happier now that shes up and running. It can be a little stressful worrying about all the potential problems that could have happened considering the time and $$ invested. Not to mention that I pulled out a perfectly running motor. :hmm:

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tom...that install looks GREAT!!! Once you get that thing tuned and broke in, you will LOVE IT!!

For what its worth, I would really watch for oil in the intake. Even with an oil separator, I was still sucking oil through the PCV system. Most of the oil though was coming from the driver's valve cover connection at the intake tube. We ended up doing the PCV delete on both my wife's Expy and my F150...that comes with its own set of problems though (oil dripping from the breather filters onto the motor/exhaust).

If you come up with a solution to the oil issues, LET US KNOW!! We can't wait to build our bottom ends like you...we are envious!! :drool2:

Thanks Blown Expy.

Your thread was a great resource to have as reference during the build!

I am aware of the potential oil in the intake/intercooler with the pcv system and do plan on doing something with it. Left it at stock for the build as I already had a lot to deal with and had not yet made a decision as what to do with it.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Took the expy to a custom exhaust shop 1 hour away today. Need to put miles on her anyways. Scheduled work for monday after next. Installing high flow cats. dual 2 1/2" to muffler. Muffler has built in x-pipe and dual in and out ?!? He highly recommended this for keeping it quiter and still flow near as well as duals. Then both pipes to exit on the same side. All stainless.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Family vehicle.....long trips.... me no want loud.. lol.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
then get what thermo said. flows 70s series. lots of torque and not a lot of noise. that would be good. but have it exit both sides. i think it looks better imo.

litexpy

Reaction score
Hey tom just got my 2001 Expy finished with a lightning motor to help the install remove the front wheels and hood to get the front end lower and the motor toar up my stock trans the 4r100 is same on the outside but different on the inside from expy to lightning i found that out the hard way, Put on the dyno stock motor has ba3000 maf sct,cold air intake and shorty headers put down 380hp @ 486 ft lbs torque.was only able to pull in 2nd gear pretty happy for a stock motor.Enjoy you will love it when your done fun truck all under hood, thats the best part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13