Another blown expy coming soon!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds good!! Hope you are happy with all of the hours and hard work you put into making it an even greater machine :D

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Had the expy tuned today! I rode along with the tuner and he punched it from a dead stop and it just dug in and took off. She was pulling pretty hard. I got an inkling of the sensation of my mustang :) The 4wd was enabled by the way. After he did a bit of tuning I thought it felt much better. (part throttle) A little timing goes a long way. After we got back he asked if I wanted to strap it on the dyno. Ummm.... ok.

So now I got a video of it on the dyno. Its a 2 minute long video. The actual pull is in the last 10 seconds are so. Since I am only making 8psi boost I was expecting between 350 and 400 at the rear wheels. I will add more boost in the future but happy with 8 psi for now. Need to beef up the tranny before additional boost. The tranny was a bit slow to shift under full power which is a concern. He has the shift firmness settings maxed out in the tune. I believe my bands may be slipping under full throttle shifts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkLq2Eg9kTY

The smoke near the end of the video was coming from the tires. It was easy to see in person. Not see easy to tell in the video.

litexpy

Reaction score
Hi tom truck looks great the big difference in the trannys are internal the regular 4r100 has a 3 pinion plantery and a 4 bolt converter and a lightning 4r100 has a 6 pinion plantery and a 6 bolt converter, also the shift points are different,where is the valve cvr leaking up frt by the timing cover if so there is flat spots where u shold've put a dab of silicone top and bottom of the valve cvr if u did do that they would leak. Looks good sounds real good too, one day i'll get my all done and put it up too see still working on getting the paint work done hard to doit yourself and work a full time job, but worth the time and effort hope this helps.Good Luck

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hi tom truck looks great the big difference in the trannys are internal the regular 4r100 has a 3 pinion plantery and a 4 bolt converter and a lightning 4r100 has a 6 pinion plantery and a 6 bolt converter, also the shift points are different,where is the valve cvr leaking up frt by the timing cover if so there is flat spots where u shold've put a dab of silicone top and bottom of the valve cvr if u did do that they would leak. Looks good sounds real good too, one day i'll get my all done and put it up too see still working on getting the paint work done hard to doit yourself and work a full time job, but worth the time and effort hope this helps.Good Luck

Yes I used silicone where the timing cover meets the head. I just came to the conclusion that they are warped and or the grommets are just not as pliable as new so they improperly compressed the gaskets. Once I broke the seal when removed I could not get them to properly seal again.

I did know the converters were 6 bolt on the lightning and different stall I'm sure. Did not know about the 6 pinion planetary.. Thanks !

I understand about work..... Im an electrical contractor so I can "schedule" time to work on mine. But im getting a bit backed up (work) so now I need to put some longer hours to catch up.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yep... Its on the you tube description but you have to double click link to view. 378 hp & 457 pd ft torque @ 8psi boost.

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome job Tom!!! My wife and I can't wait to build out bottom end and see what numbers we can pull.

Just something about a blown Expy that is just awesome!

Congrats to you!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13