Auto A/C front blower shuts off on High setting (all other speed good)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Here is an update:

I replaced both the blower motor and the speed controller module with motorcraft parts and it worked for 2 weeks. Pulled the connector and it is burned again on the yellow-blue wire. All of the parts were brand new and I soldered/heat shrunk the new pigtail in. I failed to mention that my truck is the limited and has the dual air with digital control panel, so this is not a "resistor pack". I have ordered the factory wiring diagram book so I can properly trace the wires.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to make sure that you have a good ground. Somewhere I read something about a weak or broken ground could cause overheating. It's just a thought.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When a connector continually melts as in your case the heat is being generated at the connection point or the point where the terminal is crimped to the wire. The heat is a by product of resistance at that point

If you still have the old controller solder a jumper wire directly to the lug on the board and to the yellow/blue wire using the same gauge or larger wire. Plug in and see if it works. If it does you may consider modification to a larger gauge for the entire run of the yellow/blue wire and modified connection to the controller.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine cuts out at idle/crawl in "D" thru traffic after a while if a bunch of current draws on battery like radio, HIDs, multiple devices on chargers, and high power fogs are all on... its a too much power drawn at low engine RPM thing. when i ignored that for a while, once even needed a jump.

Battery gauge didnt move much btw....

PS cheapest $30 or so walmart battery tho

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
I got the electrical diagram book and am starting the "why is the wire burning hot" troubleshooting.
Direction wise, I thought the power came from the blower motor speed control, but it goes through it instead to ground..pin 2 (YE-BU) is the one melting. So maybe have a bad connection there even though everything is brand new.

diagram.jpg

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? 2013 expy, the blower motor went out completely and I replaced the speed controller. Now I have speeds 1-6 but 7 shuts down. I can back it down to 6 and it will start blowing again.

swamper

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem as copper93. Replaced blower & blower speed module. I don't see any burnt wires. Checked alternator & it puts out a consistent 14v. It will blow on speed 7 with engine off.

Bloodyknuckles1

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Eddie Bauer Expedition with dual automatic controls. I'm having the same problem as copper93. I replaced the blower motor and resistor (control module), and all speeds work fine but the highest. I don't see any burnt wires. Checked alternator & it puts out a consistent 14v. It will blow on speed 7 with engine off. I read somewhere about resetting the PCM, has anyone done this and did it work. Any ideas, Please!

stilbo

Reaction score
2015 XLT...
Highest fan speed on front HVAC fan stays on for about 5-10 seconds then shuts down.
Changing fan speed via +\- selector button to any speed lower than maximum allows ran resumption at any speeds selected.
Resistor pack, motor and cable connector replaced by dealer before I bought it.