Auto Start/Stop Disabled due to vehicle Charging.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had this happen a few times. The dealer tested my battery when it was in for service and it was fine. It indicates your battery is a little low on charge, not necessarily bad. If you take a long trip it should top up the charge and the message will go away. I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
Rob6805

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had this happen a few times. The dealer tested my battery when it was in for service and it was fine. It indicates your battery is a little low on charge, not necessarily bad. If you take a long trip it should top up the charge and the message will go away. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks!! I'm going on a longer trip (interstate driving) next week.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!! I'm going on a longer trip (interstate driving) next week.
Up here in Alberta, my experience is that Auto Stop-Start works most of the time during the summer, but during the winter it almost never activates. I attribute that to the use of various warming elements such as window/mirror defrosters, seat & steering wheel warmers, etc. It seems to take a long time (longer than my 22 minute commute) to fully charge the battery. I'm considering putting a charger on overnight once in a while in the winter to ensure it doesn't drop too low.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Up here in Alberta, my experience is that Auto Stop-Start works most of the time during the summer, but during the winter it almost never activates. I attribute that to the use of various warming elements such as window/mirror defrosters, seat & steering wheel warmers, etc. It seems to take a long time (longer than my 22 minute commute) to fully charge the battery. I'm considering putting a charger on overnight once in a while in the winter to ensure it doesn't drop too low.
Just the opposite in Texas. When it is Hot outside, and the AC is on Max, ASS will not function, just as it was designed.

Book2

Reaction score
I take non auto-stop = low battery power indicator of my 2018 Limited. When battery charge gets lower, auto-stop is disabled, also, door handle touch sensors (lock/unlock) are disabled except the driver's door. Until this summer I drove only once a week for only a couple of miles, and the battery tend to get weaker as the car needs to draw some current during non-operation period due to a bunch of electronics parts in it. Whenever these irregular things happen, I notice it is about the time to check the battery by a tester (TOPDON BT100) and charge it (CTEK Multi US 7002).
I connected the charger in every 2-3 weeks during these days. Then after the summer, I start driving around 40 miles a day (5 days a week). I have not noticed any of these signs, so I have not used the battery tester / charger any more.
I do not want the auto-stop function, I mostly drive on busy city streets, stop and go so many times, and thinking it is too much work for the cranking motor and for the battery.
It is certainly cumbersome to manually disable the auto-stop by pressing the button at the top of center console, but that is OK, I do it as my routine (also I use Eco mode and this is another routine at the time leaving home).
I like cars with characters like a living thing, as old-timer cars do, needing some specific routines that only the owners know, and showing signs of issues in some funny but predictable ways. All I have to do is to get accustomed to them, getting to know what is going on, and doing right things.
I love my Expedition, always thanking the Ford designers & engineers to create such a great & fun car!

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I take non auto-stop = low battery power indicator of my 2018 Limited. When battery charge gets lower, auto-stop is disabled, also, door handle touch sensors (lock/unlock) are disabled except the driver's door. Until this summer I drove only once a week for only a couple of miles, and the battery tend to get weaker as the car needs to draw some current during non-operation period due to a bunch of electronics parts in it. Whenever these irregular things happen, I notice it is about the time to check the battery by a tester (TOPDON BT100) and charge it (CTEK Multi US 7002).
I connected the charger in every 2-3 weeks during these days. Then after the summer, I start driving around 40 miles a day (5 days a week). I have not noticed any of these signs, so I have not used the battery tester / charger any more.
I do not want the auto-stop function, I mostly drive on busy city streets, stop and go so many times, and thinking it is too much work for the cranking motor and for the battery.
It is certainly cumbersome to manually disable the auto-stop by pressing the button at the top of center console, but that is OK, I do it as my routine (also I use Eco mode and this is another routine at the time leaving home).
I like cars with characters like a living thing, as old-timer cars do, needing some specific routines that only the owners know, and showing signs of issues in some funny but predictable ways. All I have to do is to get accustomed to them, getting to know what is going on, and doing right things.
I love my Expedition, always thanking the Ford designers & engineers to create such a great & fun car!
It is similar to a pre-flight check list. Touch Start to move seat forward, close door, lock doors, pre-lube engine, start engine, disable auto Stop/Start, disable traction control, engage Sport mode, engage Reverse, back out, tray tables in the upright position, let the fun begin.

Grizguy

Reaction score
The cost of the torque converter and started replacement will cost a LOT more than the few cents you will save on gas. auto stop eliminator will save you a bunch of gref. Maybe you have not pushed the brake pedal down far enough to activate it? Auto stop eliminator makes them for Rams too.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gen 4 starts the engine via the alternator, no teeth on torque converter, no starter motor, less weight