Bilsteins and spring perches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I'm at it spending a bunch of money on other repairs, I thought I'd order some Bilsteins and do my wife's shocks as well. I'm going with

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2...100-Front-Strut-Assemblies-0-1-Lift-Pair.html

but don't necessarily want to tear apart the old shocks to get the spring perches off, unless I absolutely have to. Is anyone making spring perches that are available? Will perches from a 2014 work just fine? Also, are the rears pressed on as well?

Mike

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All pressed on.
You won’t find new perches anywhere trust me. All the factory struts now included pressed on perches.
You can pull older ones from a junk yard.

NAPA perches can be special ordered separately but they do not fit Bilsteins.

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How hard is it to get the pressed on perches off of the stock shocks?

I'll be taking it to a shop on base to do the work myself.....they have a press, so hopefully that should do the trick.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a press it is not too difficult.
Without a press you’ll drill a hole to relieve the pressure (do it outside and with safety glasses) then cut the tubes and pound them off.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not following why you'd need to drill hole and relieve pressure?

I put my old/stock struts in a vice upside down, liberally squirted PB Blaster where the perch sits on the tube, and then pounded away with a 3 lb sledge until the perches worked their way off of the tube.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not following why you'd need to drill hole and relieve pressure?

I put my old/stock struts in a vice upside down, liberally squirted PB Blaster where the perch sits on the tube, and then pounded away with a 3 lb sledge until the perches worked their way off of the tube.

You have a 2008 model and the perches were not pressed on they just fit snuggly and a little sledge action would knock them off without issue.

Ford has since changed the design and the are pressed on. If you don’t have a press to get them off you have to cut and deform the shock tube to get them off.
Therefore you need to relieve the fluid pressure inside the shock tube before trying to deform it.

Adam N Davis

Reaction score
Guys I have a 2014 EL Limited 4wd with Self Leveling rear suspension(I have given in to the fact I will have to go OEM replacement on rear). I cannot tell by looking if the perch in the front is pressed on. I am up in the air on whether to buy the OEM one and not hassle or upgrade the front to the Bilstein. I am also a little confused if these are designed for the 2015 and up with 3.5L and I still have V8 then are they valves correctly for the extra weight?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are close enough it is not an issue and still valved worlds better than the OEM crap.

Think the F150 Bilsteins (which I have) are valved to fit the 2.7, 3.5, and 5.0.
So you are going to be within a working margin.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
The perches on my 2013 took 4 whacks with a dead blow hammer. Had I cleaned the crud off first, probably 2 whacks. LOL!

IMG_3726.jpg

Last edited:

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
So if I understand this right my 2017 spring perches will not come off without a press unless I tear apart the old one? Is there a specific name for a spring perch press so I can verify where to find one before I start the job? Thanks.