Bilsteins and spring perches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only place you will find a spring perch is at the junkyard and you’ll likely have to buy the whole assembly.
If you don’t want to destroy the shock any mechanic should be able to pop them off for you for cheap if you remove the assembly yourself.

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
I did my suspension over the weekend and can confirm the perch or spring seat is NOT welded or difficult to remove. I put the shock in to a vice upside down and it took a couple wacks of a 3# sledge to get it off. I sprayed some pb blaster in it too so it slid down quicker.
This was on a 2017 Expedition EL XLT 4WD without load leveling

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only place you will find a spring perch is at the junkyard and you’ll likely have to buy the whole assembly.

And if you have the self leveling shocks, you’ll also need the spring (possibly the upper spring seat) from the donor non-self leveling shock. The spring on the self leveling shock has a wider overall diameter- and more importantly a wider INNER diameter.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did my suspension over the weekend and can confirm the perch or spring seat is NOT welded or difficult to remove. I put the shock in to a vice upside down and it took a couple wacks of a 3# sledge to get it off. I sprayed some pb blaster in it too so it slid down quicker.
This was on a 2017 Expedition EL XLT 4WD without load leveling

That is a huge plus. Not a chance mine were coming off without a press.

Steve Owens

Reaction score
The Bilsteins ride like a buck board, just took them off my 13 expedition after a month. Awesome on the freeway, very bad on the rough streets. Don't think the wife will like the ride.

Plan to also get them off my Jeep Wrangler this weekend.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Bilsteins ride like a buck board, just took them off my 13 expedition after a month. Awesome on the freeway, very bad on the rough streets. Don't think the wife will like the ride.

Plan to also get them off my Jeep Wrangler this weekend.

I noticed the same thing. However, it is a truck, not a Lincoln Continental. I don’t mind the harsher ride. I’m very happy with them.