Debating which Trim Level and features are best for 2024 Expedition Max for towing hybrid camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NagyDigital

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm researching which specific 2024 Expedition Max to get for hauling a Flagstaff Shamrock 233S. I've already determined we want the 4x4 MAX, with Heavy Duty Tow Package. I'm currently debating if I should get a standard Limited, or go with an upgraded Limited with CCD w/Sport Tuning suspension and ControlTrac with 3.73 ELSD or maybe even a Platinum (if there is some additional benefit to towing with the Platinum I'm not considering?)

Do the CCD and ELSD make towing better or do those limit the optional aftermarket suspension upgrades (Bilstein, etc) that could benefit payload/towing? Any other factory options I should consider for towing a 5200lb travel trailer, with 652lb hitch weight?

Thanks for any insight to these 2 options, or suggestions for something I'm missing.

Josh

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Higher trim levels have less payload, which is the limitation when towing using these vehicles. There's an Google Drive sheet with the payload comparison by trim and equipment level. The numbers should be similar for 2024. Generally you're going to want to maximize the payload in case you decide to upgrade campers.

If you get the 22-inch wheels and CCD, I don't think you'll be able to get D or E load tires. The higher load tires make a big difference in towing stability. CCD is supposed to substantially improve ride quality, so it kinda depends on how much towing you'll be doing and whether you prioritize stability or ride comfort. The other benefit of D and E tires is improved puncture resistance, which provide peace of mind while towing since you don't have to worry as much about pulling off with a camper attached to change a flat. Depending on how many people are accompanying you, there are larger campers that the Max can handle. I have a Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL and it tows comfortably at 7,000 lb loaded. The 4th gens have more payload than my 3rd gen.