EATC and Fuel Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfry

Reaction score
I have two problems that are not related. I've gotten them mostly figured out by lurking around here and other various places, but I was hoping to get the last few answers that I haven't been able to find. 2002 EB

1: My AC only kicks on when I set my EATC to 60f, and vice versa the heater is on full blast at anything above 60f. Tonight I found the locations in the harness that are supposed to go from the back of the EATC head to the inside temperature sensor, and according to the chart I found online - it is reading at under 50f when the ambient temperature is around 70f. So, can anybody point me to where the actual sensor itself is, how best to get to it, and what I need to order to replace it? I see the inlet behind the slots in the dash, but my understanding is that the sensor itself is actually up inside somewhere, not right there at the slots.

2: Several months ago I got a check engine light with the error code that said the pressure in my evap system was too high. I cleared it, and it came back. After a second clear it has not returned. However, my fuel gauge (Which has never been too accurate) is now way way under reporting. At full it reports a little less than half a tank, and after half a tank it rests pretty close to E. Also, the "Miles to Empty" reading overhead starts reporting 50 miles left after about half a tank, and drops as we drive, until it realizes there's more than it thought, and jumps back up to around 40 or 50 again. My understanding of this one is that the sensors that control both of these situations (fuel pump and evap pressure) are in the fuel pump assembly itself, and replacing the fuel pump could knock out these two birds with one stone. Correct?

I'd appreciate any insights.

B

bedrck46

I'll try to answer your second question I had in the past posted some information on how you could check your fuel gauge by disconnecting a connector and using 3 different resistors you can see if the gauge on the dash is reading correctly. I will try to find that information and send it to you by tomorrow morning.

You are correct in the location of those sensors.

Most likely your fuel gauge problem is due to the float on the fuel pump assembly.

A problem with the in car temp sensor sometimes is caused by a build-up of dust and dirt on the sensor this acts as an insolator and can cause false readings Best I can tell is it's located around the center of the dash area

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bigfry

bigfry

Reaction score
Don't worry about finding the tests for the fuel gauge, I've got that one bookmarked for a weekend already :)

B

bedrck46

There are two connectors that you can test the guage from one at the fuel tank and one under the hood The one under the hood would be easier to get to.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the one under the tank will help to verify that there is not a wiring problem as well. you could get good readings from the test by using the underhood one but that leaves the rest of the circuit untested.

it is harder to get to but i believe the more of a circuit you can check at one time the better. it takes more effort but you get more out of it.

B

bedrck46

the one under the tank will help to verify that there is not a wiring problem as well. you could get good readings from the test by using the underhood one but that leaves the rest of the circuit untested.

it is harder to get to but i believe the more of a circuit you can check at one time the better. it takes more effort but you get more out of it.

Although I agree that at the tank would be the best place to check the complete wiring circuit, my suggestion to him was based on his reply,

"Don't worry about finding the tests for the fuel gauge, I've got that one bookmarked for a weekend already"

I assumed that he has plans to replace the fuel pump assembly and felt that he could at least check the gauge to make sure it was reading properly.