Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yockmyer

Reaction score
And yes, people are dumb. If you doubt this, how do you explain Trump?
There's always one.....lol.

Good luck with your search Trainmaster! I hope you will inform us of your decision and the reasoning behind it.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Thank you Yock. My choice is awhile away, as my 2008 is still going strong. But I don't care about fuel mileage, comfort, tow capacity or technology. I want as little new tech as possible. I want durability and reliability and most of all, an ability to easily effect repairs.

yockmyer

Reaction score
You are welcome..I envy your ability to tackle repairs. I don't want to hijack this thread but as one with no repair genes anywhere within me, I dread the thought. ( I know noone looks forward to it but...) Again, I look forward to your input re your choice.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you Yock. My choice is awhile away, as my 2008 is still going strong. But I don't care about fuel mileage, comfort, tow capacity or technology. I want as little new tech as possible. I want durability and reliability and most of all, an ability to easily effect repairs.

My 2008 was running fine when I bought the 2018. I bought the 2008 used, a lease back. I bought used instead of new because the XLT interior was just horrible, lots of cheap plastic, etc. Figured I'd drive it for a few years and get the new generation. As I tend to keep my cars a long time, I didn't want to buy a crappy interior and keep it for 12 years. Well, it was almost 11 years between generations. I was running errands one day and stopped by a local dealership to have a look at the new ones in about March last year. No intention of buying, just curious as I'd been waiting 8 years. I ordered one a couple days later. I looked at a Limited before I ordered, and was a bit disappointed in the XLT interior when it arrived. It's an improvement over the 08, but nothing to brag about.

But, the difference between my 2008 and the new one is night and day. Reliability doesn't worry me much, as the EB should be excellent. With the secondary port injectors the soot buildup on the intake valve stems won't be an issue. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on ease of repair. This is coming from a guy who was worried about the EB and was reluctant to give up the V8. The EB is way better.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a new 2020 Super Duty with the 7.3L pushrod engine. I would like to live vicariously through you if you do!

They have a new Tremor package for the SD to fight the PowerWagon, includes the bigger 7.3 motor and off road shocks along with other exterior changes.

View attachment 31839

The Tremor is still a long way from a PowerWagon in terms of off road capability. Tremor is still missing a front locker, front sway bar disconnect and winch. I wish Ford would add the winch and front locker to the Tremor package!

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How About the Lincoln Aviator Hybrid
Specs
Nearly 500 horsepower
After an initial estimate from Lincoln of "over 450 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque," I was delighted to learn that the final calibration of the electrified Aviator Grand Touring will be even more powerful than anticipated.

The Grand Touring model pairs the Aviator's 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine with a 75-kilowatt (100 horsepower) electric motor. With their powers combined, output is bumped to 494 horsepower and 630 pound-feet of torque… wow. That's a gain of 94 peak ponies and 215 pound-feet over the non-hybrid model.
Bet that is a fun ride

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How About the Lincoln Aviator Hybrid
Specs
Nearly 500 horsepower
After an initial estimate from Lincoln of "over 450 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque," I was delighted to learn that the final calibration of the electrified Aviator Grand Touring will be even more powerful than anticipated.

The Grand Touring model pairs the Aviator's 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine with a 75-kilowatt (100 horsepower) electric motor. With their powers combined, output is bumped to 494 horsepower and 630 pound-feet of torque… wow. That's a gain of 94 peak ponies and 215 pound-feet over the non-hybrid model.
Bet that is a fun ride
Next service I get on my Navigator I’m asking for one of these, if they have one, for the loaner. I’m dying to get behind the wheel of one.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you really just want simple, than look hard for a low mile old vehicle. Any newer vehicle won't be easy to work on.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next service I get on my Navigator I’m asking for one of these, if they have one, for the loaner. I’m dying to get behind the wheel of one.

$90k is rarified air for a small SUV. I hope Lincoln can pull it off but the competitors who do tread there have some pretty compelling offerings.