Expensive Sunroof Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this stuff Sticky? What I'm reading it makes me think yes and will be a dust/dirt magnet? I'm still covering all my weather seals (sunroof included) in TopCoat F11. Seems like that is a good way to keep them clean/supple/functional, etc. Or are you putting this on some other bits up there?

F-11 is a dust magnet and washes of quickly. Krytox is what you want and silicone spray for the surround gasket. If you are not aware turtle wax seal and shine is super cheap and out last F-11 by months if your not into high end coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

julijn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my sunroof on my 2018 wont open...made an appointment to see what's up....

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F-11 is a dust magnet and washes of quickly. Krytox is what you want and silicone spray for the surround gasket. If you are not aware turtle wax seal and shine is super cheap and out last F-11 by months if your not into high end coatings.

Yeah, I just picked this product and stuck with it from original purchase. I think regardless of what you use, that is the key to keeping a vehicle looking good. Hasn't actually been my experience that it washes off quickly/attracts dust. I've used a lot of other stuff and for me this works best on both the expy and the camper. Easy/about the level of fuss I'm into... I'll do a hand wash with their polywash shit every couple months and spray this stuff when things are looking really grimy in between and after those hand washes, etc. Where it impresses me the most is actually the tailgate. Dust rinses/wipes right off and the f11 with a couple clean towels champs it all right up! CA duster keeps that tailgate immaculate/dust free with this on the paint. Interior stays nice/easily cleaned up/wiped off, too...

Quick/low fuss/looks sharp/works for me. [emoji106]

lefty hack

Reaction score
There was a TSB out recently. My dealer removed and replaced the rails and guides. No more clicking.

lurch

Reaction score
My moonroof shattered and blew off while I was driving through Kansas on the way back to Colorado. It was replaced under warranty thankfully as it was a spontaneous explosion of the tempered glass. It took them 16 hours to fix and included dropping the headliner twice. I would never buy another moonroof after that experience. I was in the middle of nowhere and had to drive a few hundred miles to the closest store that had boxes and duct tape to make a patch. Also was towing an RV so the pull off the highway when it first happened sucked as I was on a back road and had a hard time getting turned back around. Now imagine if that same thing happened in a rainstorm or winter. I might custom order my next vehicle so I can get the packages I want without the very commonly optioned moonroof that is on the lot units.

donsmrs

Reaction score
Guys, a plastic part broke in the sunroof of my 2018 Max Limited. The difficulty in getting to it resulted in a $3,800 repair (it wouldn’t close).

I will never buy another sunroof on my vehicles.
When I went shopping last November for the third Expedition in 20 years, my husband had passed away, so I picked my mechanic's brain on what features to avoid. That garage had repaired our Expeditions for over 15 years. I knew the sun roof was to be avoided. He also warned me that the electric running boards go bad, usually in the first 3 years. He said the cost of repair/replacement was like the price of feeding a 3rd world nation. I knew I did NOT want a shifter knob because the knob on a rental I drove in March slipped from Drive to Neutral because my purse fell on it. On the Interstate. At 70mph. (I was underwhelmed!) It also had "stoplight narcolepsy," (engine cut off at stoplights). I could not turn it back in to the rental place fast enough! So, I wanted a V8 2WD with a regular gear shift and fixed running board. The newest one that still met those requirements was a 2014 Limited, a one-owner trade-in. I am very happy with it. I don't work on my cars, so the model providing the least inconvenience was the draw. But as for sun roofs, the sunroofs on every make and model tend to leak. And, maybe there are more things than a sunroof to watch out for, on the newer models.

expyaddict

Reaction score
Plastic bits within the sunroof/moonroof track and slide assemblies are notorious for getting brittle, cracking and then failing. Not just an Expy thing. The repair is a lot of labor (from what I've seen anyway)

Probably not something you want to do on a newer Expy, but if you can get it closed manually, then you could pull the fuse and just leave it closed.

We had a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer hand-me-down. Disconnected the glass and removed it, manually manipulated the slides back to the closed position and re-attached the glass. Then left the fuse pulled. If you go this route clean out the drain holes while you are in there and verify water flows through. Leak expert told me to use string trimmer line. Then park on a slope then poor in a bit of water. It should disappear down the drain hole and drip out the bottom of the vehicle.

For that 2003 Trailblazer an aftermarket kit of replacement tracks and slides was not expensive. I saw them as cheap as $30.00. But after watching a video on the effort required... it just wasn't worth it to me. -- Drop the headliner, remove the entire moonroof track assembly, drill out some rivets, install the new bits, then put the whole thing back together, etc. If this was the only issue with that trailblazer, I might have done it. But it had bigger problems....