Expy/lightning issues - Round 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
After I washed my Expedition yesterday took it for a drive to dry it off. Not particularly hard on it and it just began rapping loudly. Pulling in the driveway, open the hood and it sounds like its coming from the drivers side valve cover area at the front. My guess would be a bad lash adjuster?? introducing way too much slope in the valve train. But not ruling out rod knock or broken wrist pin after researching the lightning forums.

I did notice when I would pass anything on my left recently I would here some ticking reflected off the various objects but was not noticeable other wise. One of those "is that my vehicle?"

Took a video this morning upon cold start and you could not really hear anything until it is revved up some. Still cold so not nearly as loud as when fully warmed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoocRUgzsHw

Thoughts??

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom,

That sucks buddy. I think from the vid it sounds more like the LA. It just dosent have that rod knock sound to it.

Found this vid. I know it's a 3v but boy it sounds similar to your sound. I know if it were me I would be a little upset.

I know in my 99 exp when could she makes a similar sound could and is gone before full warm up.

Low oil pressure at some point?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=GxVC09Wl6Iw

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Oil pressure has been good.

Definitely sounds like a lash adjuster to me at this point due to the location of the sound. But the odd thing is it worse when its warmed up. When it is cold there is no noise. I think of "lifters" as bleeding down when shut off and do not like to pump back up. This seems to be the opposite the case.

Lash adjuster is relatively easy to deal with but the circumstance seems odd to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Anything beyond the lash adjuster and I will obviously be pulling the motor... :(

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
Tom, might sound a little left of center, but mine was doing the same thing, started taping just like that, and thought it was a cam follower. It was a bad #7 plug. Before pulling her moter out check the plugs, never know might be worth a try.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Is this leading into another April fools joke like last year???

I wish but it's not April 1st this time.

Time to start looking for a new daily driver! Cannot afford the downtime of pulling the motor to repair.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yep.... convinced its time to take on a car payment. It has been quite some time but might save enough in fuel to help pay for much of it. Been averaging a little under 12mpg with the Expy.

Last edited:

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe so. You can tinker with the expo at your own pace and have some coin back in your
pocket with a fuel sipper.

I bought a used focus wagon last year for this very same reason.