Factory window film on windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patri8

Reaction score
Pretty agitated right now after using a razor blade to remove my expired registration sticker from my windshield only to find out that it has factory window film on it instead of being laminated between the glass layers resulting in me creating substantial damage to the interior glass. I am a 20 year fixed op director for a large BMW dealer and I’ve never heard of a manufacturer doing this. Only ******* vehicle owners tinting their windshields and failing to let their advisor know before asking them to replace their registration sticker or TSI sticker back when they were required to be displayed on the windshield in Texas.

Is this just a Ford thing?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty agitated right now after using a razor blade to remove my expired registration sticker from my windshield only to find out that it has factory window film on it instead of being laminated between the glass layers resulting in me creating substantial damage to the interior glass. I am a 20 year fixed op director for a large BMW dealer and I’ve never heard of a manufacturer doing this. Only ******* vehicle owners tinting their windshields and failing to let their advisor know before asking them to replace their registration sticker or TSI sticker back when they were required to be displayed on the windshield in Texas.

Is this just a Ford thing?

Year, make and model?

I’ve never heard of a window tint film being applied on the inside of a motor vehicle windshield by the manufacturer.

Years ago, Ford had an optional “flash-defrost” system for the front windshield that included some type of coating on the inside of the windshield (not film). It was discontinued after a short time.

Perhaps others will chime-in?

mtrosclair

Reaction score
I've never heard of a manufacturer applying any kind of film to the inside of a windshield. It's possible it could've been added by the dealer, but Ford didn't do it. The tinted glass from the B pillar back is not film but made into the glass. If they were going to do something that was OEM it would probably be done in that manner.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2013 has a label saying it has some fancy sound proof glass. Could it be a film?
Thanks for the heads up as I have some tint on top that extends below the legal marks. Sloppy aftermarket that needs to go.

While we are talking about windshields, my rear-view mirror has a cable that leaves it sloppily toward the headliner and I think there should be a plastic channel over it. Does anyone know if this is so,? Part number???