Finally finished my headlight projector retrofit (LOTS of PICS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jason the headlights look great but I was wondering what it would look like with the chrome reflector housing blacked out too as it's not needed anymore with the projectors.
Matt
Yea I was originally going to paint the reflector black and leave the projector shroud in chrome, but the condition of the chrome on the shroud was not good enough to keep. I also considered doing the reflectors in white, with the black shroud, in sort of a "Storm Trooper" look (I saw a set on the Dodge Ram forum and they were sweet), but I decided not to bother with it at this time.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those look great! How is the light out on the road?
Awesome! So much better than the factory reflectors (even with HID's). Reflectors with halogens = crap... Reflectors with HID's = decent.... Projectors with HID's = Incredible

Oh and when I throw on the brights, it lights up the whole freaking street. I'll try to get a lowbeam/highbeam pics of a neighborhood street at night.

Not if you buy some PVC pipe and cap and flange and make a housing on the backside for support and seal.
I hadnt thought of that, I need to start thinking on that a bit.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks really good! I've got some questions:

• 1.Did you have any problems with the horizontal aim of the lamps? My right one seems to be more to the right than straight ahead, but maybe its just the way the housing fits on the truck. Also,

2. Did your housings fit the same as they did before you heated them? Neither of mine fit perfectly in the openings in my opinion (RT one seems to sit back on the outside, LT sticks out a little in the lower corner by the grill), but that might just be my perfectionist side coming out!

3. When you aimed them, what measurements did you use?

Just trying to get these things perfect, it shouldn't be as hard as I'm making it! :D

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks really good! I've got some questions:
1.Did you have any problems with the horizontal aim of the lamps? My right one seems to be more to the right than straight ahead, but maybe its just the way the housing fits on the truck. Also,
I think it's the way the housing is on the truck. My right headlight cutoff is also a bit to the right as well. The projectors are bolted to the reflector and the way the lock nut secures the projector, it forces the projector to be aligned with the original bulb socket.
2. Did your housings fit the same as they did before you heated them? Neither of mine fit perfectly in the openings in my opinion (RT one seems to sit back on the outside, LT sticks out a little in the lower corner by the grill), but that might just be my perfectionist side coming out!
I'm using aftermarket housings and they fit fine, however both of them had broken off the metal clip on the rear. I JB welded the clips back on while I was in there and they are holding up now. You might make sure the clips are fully seated in their sockts. Also, I think you can bend that bracket behind the light (the bracket that it clips into). So it could be out of alignment. Actually that might be why we both have a little bit of horizontal aim issues. Maybe we both should look at that...
3. When you aimed them, what measurements did you use?
A big brick wall. I saw where my wife's RX350 cutoff was, and set mine to be the same. Also got them as level as possible by aligning the cutoff with the bricks horizontally.
Just trying to get these things perfect, it shouldn't be as hard as I'm making it! :D
LOL, yes being a perfectionist can be a real monkey on your back. I have the same problem.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cant you do an led replacement for the fogs like they are doing with the raptors?

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a possibility. I've looked a little at LED's for other things, but haven't really thought about them for Fogs.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a possibility. I've looked a little at LED's for other things, but haven't really thought about them for Fogs.

The issue with LED fog bulbs is whether or not you want to use them for light or for looks. All the LED fog light bulbs I have seen aren't full-brightness replacements, but are just used for style and color-matching to HID headlamps.

However, if you don't need the light output, it can be a lot cheaper than going HID for the fog lights!