Finally painted the headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Walnut&freeway: thx alot guys. Means a lot coming from guys with such great looking trucks.

Ray: that first one was BAD!! The second one I heated at 250 for just shy of 20 minutes. Starting at that side that the ambers are in I pried with 2 butter knifes. I slid the butter knife in to the groove and pulled the lense upward and repeated with the second knife working my way halfway around the top and bottom of the light. I was then able to just pull the lense and housing apart. It took less than 5 minutes and I wish I would have recorded it

i will try that tonight, never thought to start on the side of the ambers.
Thanks! opening mine up to put in projectors for a bixenon setup. first one took me 2 hours, 2nd one aint budging after over a hour of prying and heating.

OP
OP
F

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
Please post pics once you get the projectors set up. I'm starting to like the idea of that as long as it has a somewhat factory appearance. Are you doing a pressure clamp or epoxy setup@ rayt

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please post pics once you get the projectors set up. I'm starting to like the idea of that as long as it has a somewhat factory appearance. Are you doing a pressure clamp or epoxy setup@ rayt

just using butyl rubber for sealing, heating and clamping them back together, have a total of 4 different kinds of projectors here to play with, all from theretrofitsource, fxr1.1, fxr3.0 from ebay, mini h1, and mini d2s. will probably just use one of the easier ones like the mini d2s or mini h1 for now.

have to say didnt realize how much SMALLER our lights are compared to f150 lights.

Last edited:

Miekk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you sand off all the chrome first?
Are the remaining chrome beam projectors removable? How about thereflector?
What paint? Gloss? Adhesion promoter?
Is this similar or exactly like the limiteds have? If not, what's different?
I'm nervous about wrecking my only pair of headlights. If I screw it up, it’s $450 for new ones and a weeks wait.

Thanks!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you sand off all the chrome first?
Are the remaining chrome beam projectors removable? How about thereflector?
What paint? Gloss? Adhesion promoter?
Is this similar or exactly like the limiteds have? If not, what's different?
I'm nervous about wrecking my only pair of headlights. If I screw it up, it’s $450 for new ones and a weeks wait.

Thanks!

Just get a second pair to play with. You just have to look. Sometimes you can get the Limited lights for pretty cheap. As of right now, you could probably get this to play with: Link

This one is decent, Link, though it does have some stress marks. You'd have to plug up the hole in the back, but not bad for practice.

If you want a Limited, you could look at this Link. It's a bit pricey (I've seen them go for a bit cheaper, but seems in good condition). At least it's cheaper than the price you quote earlier.

Just try this if you want to look through: Link

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the new blacked out headlights are ~225 each shipped i think last i ordered them,
i heard that wholesale on the tyc made ones was ~70 bucks possibly less.

Thanks for the advice btw i used 2 butter knife like blades, made everything easier in breaking the seal between the permaseal and the lens.

i originally planned to use mini h1's, but got mini d2s to try, oversized my hole, so now i'll be using fx-r. hope to get this done soon. the apollo shroud that theretrofitsource sells is a perfect fit without any cutting into the reflector.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_20120301_224449-1.jpg

managed to start test fitting, used a fxr 3.0 projector, lots of cutting, but it is a solid projector. just need to clean up my old adhesive, and make sure all the chrome is clean, then sealing it back up.

OP
OP
F

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
That actually looks really natural in there. I can't wait to see the finished product. I think I may want to do this also. Thanks for the pics!