Front differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popeye

Reaction score
I noticed a little oil puddle under the vehicle and deemed it was gear oil.
I soaked the underneath with engine cleaner and rinsed off twice. My buddy tells me he thinks it is comimg from the drivers side of the diff where the bolted on panel is. Is this common, just a gasket ?
thanks
Tony

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought mine was leaking from pinion seal but after a whie I was able to watch it leak from the splines on the shaft. When we bought it had three tires the same and 1 different tire on rear. Ours is awd and a reputable driveline mechanic refused to even look at it until we had a set of matching tires. Difference in tire circumference causes the diff to overheat and leak. Since we got new tires the leak slowed considerably. But I'm still taking it back in a month or so to have him replace the seals and seal up the splines on the yoke. This front diff is more complicated than the rear pinion seal the whole thing has to be disassembled and if its not back together right the bearings will fail. Better to leave the front diff to someone with lots of experience in my opinion.

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought mine was leaking from pinion seal but after a whie I was able to watch it leak from the splines on the shaft. When we bought it had three tires the same and 1 different tire on rear. Ours is awd and a reputable driveline mechanic refused to even look at it until we had a set of matching tires. Difference in tire circumference causes the diff to overheat and leak. Since we got new tires the leak slowed considerably. But I'm still taking it back in a month or so to have him replace the seals and seal up the splines on the yoke. This front diff is more complicated than the rear pinion seal the whole thing has to be disassembled and if its not back together right the bearings will fail. Better to leave the front diff to someone with lots of experience in my opinion.

This is my stupid question for the day...

you mentioned you had AWD, could you not just put the switch in 2hi and be good to go? (my exped has 2hi, 4awd, 4hi, 4lo which is why I ask)

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish mine had 2hi but it doesn't. Only auto 4hi & 4lo. Only thing I don't like about it but when u buy used u can't always have everything u want. Maybe cause its e/b edition?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish mine had 2hi but it doesn't. Only auto 4hi & 4lo. Only thing I don't like about it but when u buy used u can't always have everything u want. Maybe cause its e/b edition?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

o rly?
I had no idea there were expeds with only AWD, 4hi, 4lo
That answers my question....you cant put it in 2hi because its not there....that makes sense.

Both of my trucks the 97 XLT and 09 EB have 2hi, awd, 4hi, 4lo....so I naturally assumed taht all expeds had it....but now I know the truth.

OP
OP
P

popeye

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Is there a common leak on these diffs or can it vary. Also where is the breather tube, might be a good idea to check if its plugged.

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Breather tube runs along the top of the axle on the passenger side and terminates somewhere near the fender. Don't remember exactly. You can open the fill plug on the diff, and pull the dust cover off of the vent tube and (use a low pressure compressed air) and see if you can feel the air coming out of the fill plug. Or if you're concerned about getting debris in the diff, pull the vent tube off at the diff and blow the air up towards the end. But I think it's unlikely that the tube is blocked.

There can be four sources of leaks -
1 Either seal at the driveaxles. If these were leaking you would notice the oil near the wheels.
2 From the gasket between the cover and the diff. housing. I don't remember if theres room to remove the cover while diff. is still in vehicle. If not, the whole unit isn't hard to remove.
3 From the pinion seals where the yoke bolts on to the differential. On this truck there are two pinion seals, one on the inside and one on the outside. If this is your leak oil will be coming from between diff housing and back of yoke. Complicated to replace.
4 Or not from the pinion seals, but like mine: the fluid is seeping up the splines and actually leaking through on the driveshaft side of the yoke, soaking the universal joint. Will still require disassembly of the diff so might as well replace pinion seals too.

I've been told that these units are VERY robust and not prone to leakage or failure except from abuse/misuse i.e. the previous owner of mine had mismatched tires overheating the whole drivetrain.

I'm not trying to say your abusing your truck I'm just repeating advice that was given to me by a 4wd driveline expert. The expys have a very hardy driveline and failure from normal use is almost unheard of.

Explorers are a different story lol... :)

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can always remove the half-shafts and front drive shaft until you can really crack open the front diff to work on it. This should prevent more wear and tear..

OP
OP
P

popeye

Reaction score
I just clambered under the truck and heres the funny thing, theres oil on the outside of the plastic cover on the driver side but the inside of the cover is dry ?. Am I right in thinking if you are driving any oil would be blown backwards.? Maybe its not the diff at all. Front end of the engine oil pan is a little damp. wondering if that could be the issue. Ive put a large peice of cardboard down to see if i can pin point it , probably not but worth a try.

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the oil filter. If its grimy wipe it off with a rag and keep an eye on it. Clean up that whole area - it makes a world of difference when trying to spot an oil leak. There's alot going on in that area that could be leaking but a common culprit is that oil filter. Then maybe check the timing cover seal.

Open the fill plug on the diff. and check the level. If a little starts dripping out its full quick put the plug back in. If nothing drips out stick your finger in there to see how low it is. It should be just about up to the bottom of the fill hole. If that's full it's probably not your leak. Check the oil level in the motor and check the power steering too. If one of them is getting low its got to be going somewhere. Just remember the cleaner you can get the motor the easier it will be to find the leak.