Fuel smell outside vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Govt-Cheese

Reaction score
I've noticed a fuel smell outside the vehicle after driving the last 3 trips of my 2008 Expedition. I have not seen any drips on the ground. It seems strongest at the back but I cannot locate it. Any idea why I would get this smell?

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
I've noticed a fuel smell outside the vehicle after driving the last 3 trips of my 2008 Expedition. I have not seen any drips on the ground. It seems strongest at the back but I cannot locate it. Any idea why I would get this smell?
Could be an EVAP System Leak. If it is an EVAP leak, you should get a CEL within the next 100 miles of driving.

OP
OP
Govt-Cheese

Govt-Cheese

Reaction score
Yesterday, after not driving it for 2 days I did not smell any gas. I started it, rolled down the windows and started driving. I noticed the gas smell after just a few minutes.

It was not throwing any codes. I have a long trip planned for it next week; I will bring my scanner. I will continue investigating this weekend. Thanks for the reply!

bman440440

Reaction score
I have had this issue with my 02 EB for about 6 months now... no codes at all and I drive it daily... My thought is that it may be the O ring on the fuel pump / sender... I'm going to replace the fuel pump soon anyway because I just went over 150K not to long ago and just figure to replace it as preventative maintenance and the kit comes with a new O ring... hopefully the is the issue but I'm not sure.

Danm355

Reaction score
I had an issue with a Ford Fusion where I smelled gas but couldn't find any leaking. It turned out there was a leak in the tank on the top. I noticed the gas smell when I filled the tank. I think what might have happened was I filled the tank too full. Instead of stopping the gas when the pump kicked off I put as much as I could get into the tank and it was summer so the gas expanded and caused a leak in a seam.

limeybiker

Reaction score
I have had this problem for a couple of years, I read an article claiming it to be the top of the fuel tank, every so often I get the check engine light on, I just disconnect the battery over night and the light doesn't reappear for quite some time and I only overfill when we are going on a long journey.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thin with my 03 EB. Fuel smell is strongest by the fuel fill cap area. I get a SES light and a P0455 code every 6 months or so. Small evap leak. I just reset the code until next time. Also replaced the gas cap, but the fuel smell is still there after driving.

Last edited:

engineer1

Reaction score
Back in 2021 I had a problem with my '03 EB leaking fuel from the 2 cracked vent fittings on top of the fuel tank, but I would only see liquid if the tank was full and it was parked on a slope. There have been several threads discussing the failures on the polyethylene tanks. My solution was to remove and drain the tank, then plastic weld the failures. They 'have now held up for 3 years. You can review the discussion and my photos in this forum - look for gas tank articles. Good luck.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an issue with a Ford Fusion where I smelled gas but couldn't find any leaking. It turned out there was a leak in the tank on the top. I noticed the gas smell when I filled the tank. I think what might have happened was I filled the tank too full. Instead of stopping the gas when the pump kicked off I put as much as I could get into the tank and it was summer so the gas expanded and caused a leak in a seam.

don't do that. you'll end up killing your charcoal cannister. The extra 1/4 gallon or so of fuel in your filler pipe isn't worth it.