Goodbye For Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
assuming you have full comprehensive/collision style insurance, I would expect your insurance company to pay out for the car less deductible, go after the responsible party, and if they collect, refund you the deductible. It probably depends on who this parking lot was owned by, and how official the parking use was. Many parking lots have posted 'at your own risk' signs, whereupon there's very little chance of your insurance collecting anything.
It basically becomes a subrogation claim. After paying, the insurer stands in the position of the injured if litigation takes place. It's actually a really interesting area of law. But my first case was an awful church van crash where a retiree lost control of truck while pulling a 5th wheel. After that I decided person injury, which covers many insurance claims, wasn't for me. Reading the scene descriptions...too traumatic.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had similar event when I was a kid. A tree uprooted out of our yard after a heavy rain and fell across the street, just seconds after we had driven under it. Timing is everything, one extra red light, one second longer getting kiddos out... different ending. Thankful your family is all safe.