Gravel/Mud on inside corner of rear doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun Swiers

Reaction score
Anyone come across a "mud flap" or "wheel well liner" that can eliminate the buildup of trash on the bottom inside of the rear doors? We have a '19 Limited Max w/302A...

We bought the Gatorback mud flaps and had installed before it left the lot, which offer great protection...

We also live on a gravel road in MN and it can be absolutely terrible in spring, fall, or any other time there is as much as a fog worth of rain.

Anyway, we love the Expy coming from a Suburban, there are just a couple of little things like the aforementioned design of the rear door/wheel well area that drives me nuts.

The6ofus

Reaction score
I had this same question when I bought my ‘99 F-150 because the same thing was happening. I drive pickups and full size vans at work from GM, Dodge and Ford. They all do it in the mud. It is annoying.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is exactly why I went with an XLT.....wanted the full length stationary running boards to keep the road salt/dirt/debris from being splashed up on the sides of my expedition. Power running boards definitely do not help in keeping the sides of your truck clean

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that the issue is that the seal isn’t sealing. Bad design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScottME

Reaction score
I have this happening on all my doors and even the rear hatch and hatch window. I've never had a vehicle do this including my Suburbans, Tahoes, or numerous trucks. Its crazy. Hell, even my Jeep doors seal better than this.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that the issue is that the seal isn’t sealing. Bad design.

It's not an issue with the seal, it's that there is no seal. The seal is the black strip in the upper left corner of my picture and that's around the door opening into the cabin. Below that there's no seal and the rest of the door is open to the outside. It's not an issue (unless you live in a land permeated by road salt I guess) just more of an annoyance. And I guess if I had any color other than white I wouldn't notice.

I checked and my wife's Pathfinder has the same issue. It's just not as noticeable because the unsealed portion of the door is smaller and her car is black.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect most of the dirt is coming from the rear wheel well. I’ve noticed the same issue on mine and it is worst at the rear of the rear doors. I noticed there is a space where dirt can enter this area of the door from the rear wheel well area.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not an issue with the seal, it's that there is no seal. The seal is the black strip in the upper left corner of my picture and that's around the door opening into the cabin. Below that there's no seal and the rest of the door is open to the outside. It's not an issue (unless you live in a land permeated by road salt I guess) just more of an annoyance. And I guess if I had any color other than white I wouldn't notice.

I checked and my wife's Pathfinder has the same issue. It's just not as noticeable because the unsealed portion of the door is smaller and her car is black.

I beg to differ.

Look at the gap here. 95017737e99c354d494ba8cf17d2e44a.jpg

Look at the splash pattern here with the door open.

7b523ee11a33d2e5972d1a152dbe284c.jpg

And the other side.

806a864985919ebcdd1ed9097889868c.jpg

The seal isn’t doing its job.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I beg to differ.

Look at the gap here. 95017737e99c354d494ba8cf17d2e44a.jpg

Look at the splash pattern here with the door open.

7b523ee11a33d2e5972d1a152dbe284c.jpg

And the other side.

806a864985919ebcdd1ed9097889868c.jpg

The seal isn’t doing its job.

You are right, I am wrong. My apologies.

There is a seal on the body. AND, right where it looks like all the dirt gets in, is the seam where the piece of “seal” comes together. So you’re right...the seal is not a complete piece there and it allows dirt in.

7e462b2843947d2f6f6019a0a9bb0df8.jpg