Hell yes! I'm one of you now!! Hahahaha!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's right! Name's Jordan, 30, Army vet, Scuba instructor, and as of this morning brand new owner of a 2004 black Expy XLT. Gotta' tell ya' I'm so frikkin' pumped I can't sleep tonight (i.e the 2am post!). Picked my ride up this morning at wholesale auction for 8500 and had budgeted 14k (had originally planned on getting an EB) so I have some extra cash to spend! Any suggestions / recommendations highly anticipated! Thanks yall!!!

J

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Jordan! Since you have some extra cash, why not lift and get some big ol' tires :) I would probably start by getting a K&N intake or just a drop in K&N filter with the Gott's mod and a programmer. Lots of people have them on here and love them. I've got the drop in filter, but am working on saving up for a programmer.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome.... and you just opened a can of worms...lol there are TONS of different mods you can do... but I would start with performance and MPG increase... gotts mod or cold air intake and a free flowing exhaust and a programmer.... then you have a good start to lift it or lower it

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally do not believe the Gotts will help mileage - it might help free up some power - maybe - but that means less mileage... just my 2 cents - I still did it however - for the $10 bucks in parts

OP
OP
NewbieVet

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A can of worms, eh? That's what I like to hear! 99expy I've heard about the Gotts mod so I think that's my first move. In terms of what I'm into, I'm into EVERYTHING LOL! This is my first opportunity to really "play around" so I'm open to any and all ideas. A buddy of mine who owns a rent-a-wheel place is hooking me up with some sweet new wheels (going on today, pictures to come!). I guess right now other than getting it detailed I'm looking for performance Mods. I'm going to give it a nice tune up, fluid change etc etc but am thinking I might as well stick some performance parts in there too. After that, I'm thinking anything which makes it look rugged / unique. Really not into pimped out chrome or anything like that...i'm a football coach and going to be hauling a truck full of 9yr olds and equipment all over town....heh I'm sill as pumped as last night about this purchase! Ohhh yeahh~~!

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, Welcome!

Second if you are interested in a tough look then I would suggest a mild lift and some 33 inch (or possibly bigger) tires to go along with your performance mods.

The Gotts mod has a lot of bang for the buck, and if you do a drop in K&N that will be even better. A custom exhaust will make a huge difference in the attitude of your Expy. Good luck and make sure you post some pics.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's right! Name's Jordan, 30, Army vet, Scuba instructor, and as of this morning brand new owner of a 2004 black Expy XLT. Gotta' tell ya' I'm so frikkin' pumped I can't sleep tonight (i.e the 2am post!). Picked my ride up this morning at wholesale auction for 8500 and had budgeted 14k (had originally planned on getting an EB) so I have some extra cash to spend! Any suggestions / recommendations highly anticipated! Thanks yall!!!

J

Wow aren't you lucky, Congratulations! What engine did it come with? the 4.6L or the 5.4L?

OP
OP
NewbieVet

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I don't think I want to go as far as to put 33inch tires on there, that might be a little much as this will be my daily driver and I'm not looking to go mudding (= The wheels i'm looking at are "22inch Status Canes" - I'm going to try and attach a picture here.

What exactly will the Gotts Mod and the K&N do for me? (I'm new to this stuff!!)

Oh and Sierra it came with a 5.4

J