Help diagnosing clunking suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Upper Tie Rod or Upper Control Arm. Very hard to diagnose. Raise truck pull on tire up to down, if you hear the clunk. Failure may only be on one side but given your trucks age then change both.
Had the truck lifted by the lower control arm to take the stress off the ball joints. Couldn’t find any movement in the upper or lower ball joints for both sides. Used a long pry bar to stress them. Didn’t check tie rods yet.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When mine developed a similar "clunk" sound, we re-greased the sway bar bushings with silicone grease and the "clunk" went away. Recently drove the Monument Valley scenic loop which has some serious washboard and rough rock sections, without a sound.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I’ve experienced this clunk in the front drivers side and it’s more often noticed when cold and slow speed first drive of the day. Dealer can’t find it either.
I read a while back that someone determined it to be a body panel or channel seam contact with the frame, but I cannot recall the details or the thread where I read it. It sounds like a control arm from previous vehicles, a hallow sounding clunk/ pop.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any update on this clunk?
Dealer was able to replicate the clunk, it's coming from the lower spring perch on the drivers side front strut/shock assembly. I have aftermarket bilstien 5100s installed and reused the lower perch from the OEM strut/shock assembly. Dealer is unwilling to go further since it's aftermarket. Once I get it home, this coming weekend I'll investigate to see if the perch truly failed/is failing or if the C-clip that allows height adjustment has dropped down a notch. I'm really hoping it's just a C-clip issue and that it hasn't damaged the grooves... Ford will not sell parts and pieces to the shock/strut assembly.