How hard to change lower ball joints ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackoutExpy

Reaction score
Hello I want to change my lower ball joints, I can’t really afford to buy the whole lower control arm which I read is easier. I will probably rent the ball joint press from autozone. How hard is it for someone with not too much experience. Im not new either but any tips ? Advice? Is it easy ? Lol I just want to know before I decide to go for it and then not be able to do it. Im also changing the front struts. Thanks for any help !

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not really hard, Just make sure when installing new ones you line them up while pressing them back in About a six pack of your favorite refreshment helps !!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope you have a good air compressor and impact gun & large impact socket set. The lower strut bolt is torqued to 300 ft lbs. Have you called around to local shops to ask what they charge to do the job you want done ?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hamfisted is right, it is much easier to do the struts with an impact. I did it the first time with a 25" breaker bar and impact sockets though and it worked. I found taking the sway bar brackets loose from the frame so the lower control arms will droop enough makes it easy to install the new struts.

Front ball joints aren't too bad. Watch some videos on YouTube, rent a ball joint press from Advance or where ever you prefer. I'd suggest Moog or Ford ball joints. An impact helps here too, but can be done without.