I'm about to do something stupid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drwalker02

Reaction score
Jury is still out on this one. Many of us have the upgraded part, but it's too soon to tell. Some have the upgraded part and problems have returned.

About two years ago. I just passed 2 years of ownership on my 2019 and it had the phaser rattle when I bought it. I took it from one dealership straight to my local dealership and dropped it off. It got the upgraded part at that time. I've now doubled the mileage it had and no issues. Seems not a lot complaining about the problem coming back with the newer part that I've seen.

I thought this too, but then I realized, how often do you mess with the A/C? I set it and forget it, unless my wife messes with it, then I need to mess with it back when she gets out. If it's hard to find in the screens, perhaps she'll leave it alone? I mean, the only thing I'd mess with less is switching from mph to kph, and for some reason on mine Ford made that so easy to do it's possible to accidentally switch it. Dumb, should just bury that in a menu somewhere.
I have the 15 inch tablet display and on my screen the bottom left and right or the temperatures reach to the front seats. A simple touch of the up-and-down temperature button changes the wheel control to turn the temperature up or down so once you start you can use the wheel to adjust the temperature right away. Tapping on the “rear.” Brings up the entire HVAC controls and a tab for the front of a tab for the rear. It’s not really that difficult to use when you go to the tabs. It’s really just a slide up and down for temperature. You can always use voice control to set your temperature as well. I like the tablet display, I like the Real Estate and the size of the navigation maps

Danm355

Reaction score
I've owned about 26 different cars in 47 years of car ownership. Eleven of them have been Fords. Two of them have been Expeditions: a 2002 XLT 4WD 5.4 that I bought used and drove about 90k miles and a 2015 XLT 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost that I bought new and drove 100k miles.

I traded the 2015 on a 2023 Dodge Durango R/T 5.7 HEMI. The Durango is a fun vehicle, but there are things that I'm beginning to dislike about it. This has lead me to start thinking about Expeditions again, specifically new 2024 models. Having seen the photos and video of the 2025 Expedition, I think the split tailgate is a good idea, but the dashboard looks hideous. There are several 2024 Expeditions on dealer lots in my area, so I just might take the plunge this fall. The "stupid" part of this is that I'm going to take a bath on the Durango as the resale value is not very good.

After reading "stuff" on social media, I have some questions about the 2024 models:

1. The 10-speed transmission. Has the CDF drum issue been resolved? I understand that there may still be some software issues affecting shift quality, but the CDF drum issue is very concerning.

2. Cam phasers. I've seen comments online that Ford has developed new cam phasers for the 3.5 Ecoboost. Approximately when did Ford switch over to the new phasers?

3. The 15.5 inch "tablet" display. I'm not a fan. But, I'm having a hard time finding an Expedition Limited non-Max that doesn't have it. The one negative that I keep hearing is that it takes multiple touches to adjust the HVAC temperature: one touch to activate the slider, then another touch to move the slider. Is that true? If it is true, I think I'd rather have discrete buttons.

4. 3.73 ELSD. Obviously, the ELSD would be an advantage in slippery conditions. My 2011 F-150 had it, but my 2015 Expedition didn't. Can't say I had a problem getting around in snow or mud with either one. My gut tells me that the 3.73 final drive would hurt fuel economy. How much?

Anything else I should worry about?

Some of the dealers I'm watching may be getting nervous about the 2024 Expeditions they have on the lot. I found one Limited with 304A that is being advertised at $8000 off sticker. Very tempting.
I use the voice control to change the temperature, I love the 15.5 inch screen but I believe it's an option and not standard except on the Platinum which is what I have. Mine is a 2022.

OP
OP
B

bb37

Reaction score
On 2024 Limiteds, which is what I'm considering, most of the dealers around my area order the 15.5" display. Within 100 miles of me, I'm considering 14 Limiteds with the 302A package, but only 2 do not have the 15.5" display.